Tank's been "cycling" for over a week now. Got a fair way to go, I reckon. 

But I've noticed the plants are starting to look a bit ill. The grass is yellowing from the roots up, and the long weed is browning on its stems. 

I've had a light on above it every day, all day, so I thought it was getting some UV. Then, this morning I noticed a small, (about ten cent size) patch of floating white stuff. I've never seen that before. 

So I'm thinking perhaps the tank has some sort of "infection" or other. It's an old tank which was sitting empty in my garage for yonks. No fish in it yet. 

So I started thinking maybe I have to "disinfect" or sterilise my water before I go any further. I've known about the effect of Ultraviolet light on bacteria, etc. and I googled it for aquariums. As everyone here undoubtedly knows, turns out there are plug-in devices on the market that emit UV and that can be submerged in fish tanks. Bit exxy, though. But I happen to have several of those dark-purple so-called "Black Light" bulbs which I used in my film-making days. They make fluorescent paint fluoresce. Good for special effects. 

So I was thinking, would these have any positive effect on my water, if left hovering over the tank for, say, two weeks? They're 25 Watt.

Ta.

I got them at a reputable Aquarium shop, and they were in a tank of thriving  plants.  I've since removed the white stuff, but if it comes back, I'll take a pic of it and post.

I realise I'd have to start the cycling process all over again. That's alright, though.

Here's a couple of phone pix that I put through Photoshop to try to make them clearer. Had to try to remove the ultra-violet glow off the water, but these should give an idea. The grass plants were good and green all over, but you see the mushy yellow colour now. I found a new bit of white stuff floating on the surface. And you can see the other plant underneath, which is getting many brown strands in it.

plants1.jpg

plants2.jpg

Sign in to follow this