Sign in to follow this  
Finish

Are LED lights suitable?

Looked everywhere but I can't find anything that says LED lights are actually appropriate for tanks. Light for plants must have a full range of wavelengths, including the shorter ones, (actinic such as UV and V), to promote their growth.

But I don't know if LED output is sufficient for that. 

Does anyone have some info on that?

Thanks. 

look up make my led, or look at a  the forums sponsors  theyve all got some pretty crazy tuneable leds,but dont be standing up when you do ,,theyre not cheap

i had fluval plant and a fluval aquasky the aquasky is programmable from an app

and am seriously thinking about a  mml  flora sun with sunrise sunset wifi controller  ive seen the results of all the lights and plant growth is pretty astonishing , 

i cant compare all 3 tho as some of the tanks had co2  running which helps some plants a lot

apparently the minister for war and finances says i have to wait til january for the mml light,,,,,,bloody christmas spoiling my fun

Yep, Bill, I saw the prices. Yipes! I wasn't thinking of being so ambitious, though. I can get a plain "batten light like this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-11w-2ft-diffused-lp20-smartbright-daylight-led-batten_p4371385

That would do me. As long as it emits the "right light" to keep plants alive.

(Took me a minute to figure out who the Minister For War and Finances was. Bit slow today.) :egrin:

those lights i pointed out arent top end but not basic either , i rhink if youre getting  flouro tubes you want something in the 6000 to 7500 kelvin range, i think theyre triphosphourous globes pronably marketed as daylight there is also red ,blue and white globes available in t5 tubes , cant remember which colour does the plant growing bit

how deep is your tank, you may be able to get a t8 flouro  in an led globe to suit

ive had the t5 units and they held up ok and plants did grow but nothing like the led units promote, my opinion is save some cash, do it once, do it right  

or check out the trader section @sparks  has a 3 ft full spectrum mml lifht for sale on there

what size is your tank its going on?

The tank is 60cm x 30cm x 37cm, Bill. 

Tbh, I'm not all that dedicated to having a you-beaut tank. It's just a passing fancy, really. Something to do in my spare time, which I have a bit of, these days. I bought the tank at a garage sale years ago for next-to-nothing, and I'd be nuts to spend any real dough on it.

As long as the plants don't die, and the fish stay healthy, I'll be happy.

Speaking of dying plants, my plants were giving up the ghost so I took a water sample along to the Aquarium shop and had it tested. It was waaaay at the wrong end of the Ph and ammonia/nitrite scales. They sold me some stuff to rectify that. I tossed out the two plants that were ailing. They'd become almost brown weeds anyway. So I'm taking a sample again next week and if all is well I'll probably put a few Neons in it. My initial enthusiasm has waned a little, but I'd still like to have fish.

dont know about the ph bit but the ammonia and nitrate bit could just be your tank cycling and the dead plants decaying and that could be screwing with your levels too....what were the chems they sold you?

I have been using led lights for growing plants , even in 2ft deep tanks , since they became available a few years ago .

The get around the spectrum issue by using arrays of different colours , with that they can be mixed to create any spectrum required .

Good led lights are not cheap but work very well , I used to use halides leds now can very nearly match them .

I currently use Kessils or Fluval lights for CO2 tanks . I have used the cheap Chinese ones with some degree of success in low to medium light tanks but I moved away from them . I now have only one tank running . and due to health issues will be shutting it down soon . It is a 24 x 18 x 24 inch co2 +ferts type planted tank , On that I run 2 kessil 150 amazon suns and a 160 Tuna Sun . they will grow japanese hair grass well at a 2 ft depth .

Leds from Bunnings etc may work , you would only find out by experimentation , I am pretty much over that and just buy ones that I know work  .

I am old and it just is not worth my time and aggravation to find out , only to have bunnings change supplier and find the new one next to useless .

but for some half the fun is in the experimentation .

Edited by pony-tail
typo

On 19/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, billfish said:

dont know about the ph bit but the ammonia and nitrate bit could just be your tank cycling and the dead plants decaying and that could be screwing with your levels too....what were the chems they sold you?

Some stuff called Sera Toxivec, supposed to "remove ammonia and nitrite".  And a bottle of Seachem Acid Buffer. I have to put a bit of that in every day for a week.

Been doing that and the plants are still good. Don't know if I'd put fish in yet, though.

On 20/12/2019 at 2:41 AM, pony-tail said:

"They get around the spectrum issue by using arrays of different colours , with that they can be mixed to create any spectrum required."

I'm clueless but I thought the wavelengths of light wasn't dependent on the colour. That is, each colour has a different wavelength, but you can't change that just by putting the right colour filter on it. Wrong?

"Good led lights are not cheap but work very well , I used to use halides; leds now can very nearly match them."

"they will grow japanese hair grass well at a 2 ft depth .

I like the look of that Japanese Hair Grass. Having minimum decoration in my tank, a "lawn" of grass on the bottom would be a good thing.

9 hours ago, Finish said:

I'm clueless but I thought the wavelengths of light wasn't dependent on the colour. That is, each colour has a different wavelength, but you can't change that just by putting the right colour filter on it. Wrong?

wavelengths determine the colour - shorter wavelengths blue longer wavelengths red ( even shorter UV and even longer IR but not relevant to plants  )

Edit -- adding a filter will change the wavelength ( colour ) but reduce output significantly

Edited by pony-tail
additional information

In the 23+ years I’ve been keeping planted tanks I’ve only ever used battens with t8 tubes. When they came along I switched to the Osram daylight ones, 6500K, never looked back. Plants are doing just fine without co2, even in my 2‘ deep tank. Looked at LED for planted tanks - too expensive. Lately I tried the LED tubes, found them useless, switched back to the Osram.. Unless you want to grow fancy plants and have the spare cash, I would go with the simple battens. The fish won’t mind either way.

22 hours ago, pony-tail said:

wavelengths determine the colour - shorter wavelengths blue longer wavelengths red ( even shorter UV and even longer IR but not relevant to plants  )

Edit -- adding a filter will change the wavelength ( colour ) but reduce output significantly

Thanks, Pony-Tail. Actually, I did know that about the wavelength determining the colour. But I didn't think that "colouring" the light actually changed it's wavelength. But it's obvious, of course.

21 hours ago, bluebelle said:

In the 23+ years I’ve been keeping planted tanks I’ve only ever used battens with t8 tubes. When they came along I switched to the Osram daylight ones, 6500K, never looked back. Plants are doing just fine without co2, even in my 2‘ deep tank. Looked at LED for planted tanks - too expensive. Lately I tried the LED tubes, found them useless, switched back to the Osram.. Unless you want to grow fancy plants and have the spare cash, I would go with the simple battens. The fish won’t mind either way.

So, the battens you use are fluoros, not LEDs, Bluebell? 

With the battens you can use either ordinary t8‘s flouros or if you prefer, the replacement LED ones, just change the starters. One other option when using battens are the Aqua One “tropical or sunlight” t8,s, available in normal or LED in some Petshops or online. Cost a bit more.

On 20/12/2019 at 3:19 PM, pony-tail said:

Deleted.

Well, I scored today. Saw an Aqua One TropicGlo 13w 45cm light, reduced from $130~ to $68. When the bloke opened the box to check the contents, he found that one of the support brackets was missing. So I mumbled a bit and they reduced it to $45. Got two independent settings, white and blue. I made a support from my hoard of photographic parts and clamps etc..

All good. 

I still use flouro T8s for any low tech tanks , ( or was until I shut them all down )

Just have one running tank now but will be shutting it down soon .

At least for the foreseeable future anyway .

On 23/12/2019 at 10:06 PM, pony-tail said:

I still use flouro T8s for any low tech tanks , ( or was until I shut them all down )

Just have one running tank now but will be shutting it down soon .

At least for the foreseeable future anyway .

I hope your reasons for that aren't problematic ones, Pony. Just finally over it, then? :mellow:

Sign in to follow this