Sign in to follow this  
chazycraig

airline piping for large air pumps.

i just bought an airlab air pump and am wondering whats the best piping option.

ring main at this point is not an option. as tanks are in odd places and outside.

see a lot of pvc as an option. rather not as im not sure how long i'm going to keep this set up.

is irrigation (black piping) usable or does it have to be high pressure piping (assuming that is usable)?

everything has to be glued regardless of material?

should i just stick with 4mm silicone piping?

I have one large pump under my house (LP 200 i think) which i run black irrigation tube, (the flex 4mm, same size as normal airline) to 8 different tanks all over my house, and a couple of lines into ponds outside 

I split it at the pump and have one line fully open to allow any back pressure to get out 

I use normal airline for the last section that actually goes into the tank though as i don't know if over time the black tube would leech anything into the water 

I set up my air lines using I think it was 20mm clear hose which was running off LP100 or larger air pumps. 

Hose hooked onto pump with radiator clamp and using black polly 90 deg  bends or ends which were secured using zip ties rather then the black polly clips, I thought less air would escape.

Used 4mm irrigation barbs pushed into the plastic hose and they gave a good seal also, there are 2 types of barbs , one with a sharp ends and one with just push points. Used a pair of pointy nose pliers to get the barbs through the hose.

Used standard 4mm air line just pushed onto the barbs and then airlines into sponge filters and used  airline control valves .

If interested I have attached a photo of airline fittings I would sell and there are more around I would top up the box.  

Airline_Fittings.JPG

12 hours ago, chazycraig said:

have u tried other options to compare or find any downsides?

Only downside is balancing the air pressure across the tanks as the lines to the tanks are different lengths but i just run a airline tap on each one at the tank to get the pressure i want 

the  open line at the splitter at the pump i have faced back under the pump at the intake to try and help avoid dust getting it clogged up as it is under the house, upside i cant here the pump running at all 

thanks both, gonna do that for the mean time till i expand/move. should save time/money

@Munruben1 thanks i think i have all the pieces i need to that was wondering how poly connected to standard airlines. never thought of zip tying the connections will definitely do that thanks.

@Slipshodman i might do that since i will have excess air (sounds weird saying that) and plan on putting it outside. no pump cover i assume?

On 16/01/2020 at 2:58 PM, chazycraig said:

no pump cover i assume?

No pump cover, don't want it to overheat, the open air line blow back under the pump possibly helps with heat also 

My house is split level built on a very steep block and the area where the pump is i can walk in easily but still fully enclosed from the outside elements

how did u connect the poly pipe to the pump. the output is too small for 25 mm poly and too large for 19 mm.

how did u start your connection to poly?

@Munruben1 u said u started with 20 mm clear pipe and went straight to 19 mm connector? cos i can't seem to connect mine (i think its 20 mm unlabelled pipe i have at home).

20200118_094309.jpg

20200118_094328.jpg

20200118_094359.jpg

You could  use the piece in the photos below, the open end is 20mm and you could put it in hot water and then push it onto your pump.

There are 35 holes for 4mm hose & you just plug the ones you do not want with silicone.

Another option is  the piece with the clips on it. 19mm poly will fit in one end and warm the other end up to push onto pump and either use the clips on it or use proper radiator clamps

20mm_adaptor__2.JPG

20mm_adaptor__1.JPG

35_plug_for_air_pump__1.JPG

35_plug_for_air_pump__2.JPG

don't know where u get either of those pieces, but tried the hot water trick. which i think worked well enough that i can't even change the angle of the elbow joint so don't think need the zip ties or those metal things.

edit: were check valves used on each 4mm airline or on the poly?

20200119_112127.jpg

Sign in to follow this