As someone who grew up in South East Asia and recently moved here, I will give my perspective of the aquarium hobby in Australia.

Fish here are extremely expensive thanks to import fees and such. Equipment is expensive too. A $5 betta fish back home is $35 here.

With Australia having so many restrictions and banned species, the aquarium hobby especially for freshwater is not that much fun as you cannot get all the cool varieties you see on the internet/Youtube.

I wanted a few pea puffers awhile back but learnt that they're banned here. Lots of limiting factors here towards hobbyists. You cannot even get a simple good trio of guppies without paying upwards of 40 bucks.

Yeah got the shock of my life, dropped by last Saturday to a locked gate. Very sad and a blow to the industry. Gonna miss the lads. I think its a Brisbane thing, I was in Sydney last October and couldn't get over the size and quality of the shops. QLD is in recession as far as I am concerned, as a business owner, its tough out there. Its little wonder with the idiots we have in charge at the moment. 

On 25/01/2020 at 10:57 PM, jellyfish23 said:

Do you know where I can get them? Id love to have a tank with a few of them. :)

I think if was Liverpool Creek Aquarium that had a EOI just before Christmas.  A number of other on line retailers had an EOI also. 

On 24/01/2020 at 8:18 AM, gingerbeer said:

For those who have not noticed Age of Aquariums has closed there doors.  It was somewhat quietly done without a big fanfare.  

What is the future for the hobby like?  We are losing a lot of good stores and lots of good breeders.  

Glad I saw this post! was going to be heading out there this weekend to start stocking up on equipment! 

It certainly was a sad day to see them go. The biggest struggle is the economy, it is pretty flat in Australia atm, and has been for a little while. 

a stronger economy would promote healthy business and healthy hobbies. It’s unfortunate that fish keeping isn’t a cheap hobby. 

On 25/01/2020 at 1:46 PM, jellyfish23 said:

As someone who grew up in South East Asia and recently moved here, I will give my perspective of the aquarium hobby in Australia.

Fish here are extremely expensive thanks to import fees and such. Equipment is expensive too. A $5 betta fish back home is $35 here.

With Australia having so many restrictions and banned species, the aquarium hobby especially for freshwater is not that much fun as you cannot get all the cool varieties you see on the internet/Youtube.

I wanted a few pea puffers awhile back but learnt that they're banned here. Lots of limiting factors here towards hobbyists. You cannot even get a simple good trio of guppies without paying upwards of 40 bucks.

Yep agree with this. When I go to Asia I get a bit annoyed at the variety and price of the fish they have available. Also when I watch vids on youtube and see datnoids for $50 a pop in petsotres in US or overseas... here we need to buy online for up to $1k.... have not even looked at fish in years as I dont have that spare money anymore. My 3000L tank getting empty.

On topic, it is sad that AOA has closed. Bought heaps of equipment from them, liked their store.

Website is not really up - the home page is showing "maintenance".  While you can still find the detail pages, it won't go to checkout any more.  The phone number also seems to have been disconnected.

So I'm guessing NO is the answer to your question.

One would think higher domestic prices would make Australian aquarium businesses more profitable. Perhaps not? 

On a related note, the sponsor section of forum is very quiet. Does it need to be closed? Some of the last posts are 2016.. I don't think QLDAF gets any discount from those stores listed there anymore. Understandable. 

On an unrelated note,  has anyone been to the public aquarium at EX Mouth WA recently? It had a rocky start. Just wondering if it's worth visiting since the Corona virus has made me re-think visiting some of the public aquariums in Asia. 

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/was-unsafe-11m-ningaloo-aquarium-sits-empty-ng-c85adfc476afa744b9be77a08f1f7182

On 22/02/2020 at 1:50 PM, aquaholic99 said:

One would think higher domestic prices would make Australian aquarium businesses more profitable. Perhaps not? 

On a related note, the sponsor section of forum is very quiet. Does it need to be closed? Some of the last posts are 2016.. I don't think QLDAF gets any discount from those stores listed there anymore. Understandable. 

On an unrelated note,  has anyone been to the public aquarium at EX Mouth WA recently? It had a rocky start. Just wondering if it's worth visiting since the Corona virus has made me re-think visiting some of the public aquariums in Asia. 

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/was-unsafe-11m-ningaloo-aquarium-sits-empty-ng-c85adfc476afa744b9be77a08f1f7182

I was in Exy this time last year for a fishin trip and the aquarium was up and running with plenty of fish and marine life. It looks pretty awesome. 

What are the best aquarium equipment shops now?
I mainly order online from AOA and The Tech Den, I also liked visiting AOA, too far away from The Tech Den, but use them online.

Dont really know of any other competitive online shops for equipment.

we are on the increase, Sarah just got a lovely trio of smaragdina and a Pair Mahachai, Stingrays just got pups, setting up a 4x4x2 furcifer\ventralis\cyprichromis tank shortly, there are still heaps of good breeders hiding away in their little hooooooooouses, and whilst some of the more exotic fish are hard to come by there still seems to be a good variety to choose from

sad about the shops closing down