Sign in to follow this  
seyis

Returning to the hobby.. Love to hear everyones favourites...

Good morning all, just wanted to intro and say hi :)

I haven't had an aquarium for about 13 years (due to having to move around alot for work), but getting settled now and the 'fish-daydreams' are kicking in! (unfortunately being middle age now I think I've forgotten 90% of everything I learnt back then!). My first aquarium was given to my by a friend who went overseas, it was probably around 120l, and came with 3 swordfish. It seemed a little empty and having no idea I headed off to the local pet store to buy a couple more fish, and came home with..... a cute little baby oscar and 2 albino convicts (yep I had no idea!!)... anyway as you can image life in that small tank quickly turned chaotic for all! And so quickly to follow was the purchase of a 300l tank. The convicts continued to live and breed in the smaller tank for many years (along with a few other fish but I just can't quite recall now.. maybe just algae eaters/catfish), but the oscar grew up solo pretty much.. I think I tried a few tank mates unsuccessfully over the  years (I think a convict baby managed to survive in the driftwood/rocks for a while, and maybe a catfish or algae eater too I think...).

Well thats the back story. We only want to get one tank at this stage (lol) and still just in the research phase...  (probably about a 250-300l)

Considering another oscar (as I adored my first one - was super affectionate, could hand feed, loved pats, laying in my hand etc).. but also just worried that a new one might never live up to the memory of my first one... so considering either another large american (solo) or a community tank (which was always something I dreamed of back in the days of having a large tank with only one fish living in it for so many years lol!). But really love the charater of big fish!

Would love to hear of anyone's favourites...? for a solo fish with personality (interactive/outgoing etc) (tank will be in our living room), or smaller community fish (central/south americans tho as really love the look of driftwood sets ups, tanin colours in water etc)

Have a great day!!

I would get 3 x salmontail catfish. They are active at all water levels & school. Not aggressive but predatory towards smaller fish and plants. Individual fish have different personalities. Quite hardy, no heating required in winter and readily available. 

They can get big if you over feed them however. 

12 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

I would get 3 x salmontail catfish. They are active at all water levels & school. Not aggressive but predatory towards smaller fish and plants. Individual fish have different personalities. Quite hardy, no heating required in winter and readily available. 

They can get big if you over feed them however. 

yer I always gave mine all he can eat and hes becoming a giant.