Sign in to follow this  
gingerbeer

Corona’s affect on the hobby

We are in strange times.  I have told my team that we are in this for at least 6 months, maybe more.  Certainly not less.  

I think it is a matter of time before imports dry up.  Is anyone gearing up to breed quality fish to keep the hobby going through the next 6-12 months.  

Interested in your thoughts.

It's a bit hard breeding fish when your trying to make them keep a safe distance from each other. Don't even get me started on them washing their fins. Better chance training them to crap up the same end of the tank and I think we all know how well that would go down. :nono:

Someone offered me a trade last night on a gum tree ad.

Pleco for toilet paper swap...... I sh!t you not.

Ive found giving carona or any other alcohol isnt beneficial to breeding fish, no unexpected babies after a night behind the filter while drunk 

4 hours ago, danfishy84 said:

It's a bit hard breeding fish when your trying to make them keep a safe distance from each other. Don't even get me started on them washing their fins. Better chance training them to crap up the same end of the tank and I think we all know how well that would go down. :nono:

Someone offered me a trade last night on a gum tree ad.

Pleco for toilet paper swap...... I sh!t you not.

I hope it was triple ply

I know theres a couple of guys around breeding some really nice l numbers and im  doing my best to get some breeding sized killifish going

and theres a heap of people on another platform selling some nice stuff, facebook wont let them so we have other options now and the bitchyness isnt there

jodi lea from fishchick is still selling some of the nicest bettas going around 

As aquarium hobbyists I would like to think we have an advantage over our fellow homo sapiens in regards to covid-19. The laundry list of fish deaths and diseases we experience personally or through forums like this has surely penetrated a few heads over the years with the importance of good quarantine procedures.

I have heard that the piaa is trying to get pet shops classed as essential services to keep them open. we have animals to keep alive. 

I have just launched a range of shrimp food, minerals and fry powder that are made here from australian ingredients, could be a good time or a really bad time to start.

cheers, mick

On 23/03/2020 at 8:21 AM, smicko said:

I have heard that the piaa is trying to get pet shops classed as essential services to keep them open. we have animals to keep alive. 

I have just launched a range of shrimp food, minerals and fry powder that are made here from australian ingredients, could be a good time or a really bad time to start.

cheers, mick

hey smicko, how many microns is your fry powder, i got baby killies and sometimes struggle to find stuff smaller than 300 microns

Wardleys use to make some real good powder but no one is importing it and not much wardleys stock around lately from my usual haunts

Hi billfish, I'm not sure of the micron but I will get it checked. I have fed it to ram, cory, African and American fry, not sure about the killies. 

cheers, mick

On 23/03/2020 at 8:21 AM, smicko said:

cheers, mick

In the current environment every industry is desperately trying to declare they are an essential service.  

4 hours ago, Mackayman said:

I"m a bit isolated up her and learnt most of the basics through this site. Would be great to see it busy again.

Don't forget to come up for air every now and then. LOL

0talking to a couple of guys that i know in the game reckon theyve sold a few more tanks than usual over the last week ....so heres hoping

I reckon it makes you focus on your home life which is good for the hobby (time seems to be something that the modern world was sucking up more and more) but it is definitely/obviously impacting the retail and social side of the hobby :econf:...also the airlines closing down has been bad for spreading the aqua goodies around and this is impacting interstate retailers who would usually make a good chunk of their coin shipping around Australia :faint:

Sign in to follow this