chazycraig

How do i connect Acrylic panels to stand?

i want to attach the acrylic panels i got to the stand for the winter to reduce cooling rate. 

i can't decide the best way to do it; as i want to still be able to access the bottom tanks to feed but want light in and reduced exposure to the outside temp.

thinking hinges or tracks to slides but unsure if they are any good or if there is any better options. think panels are too large for hinges and tracks leave a decent size gap and not exactly sure how to attach them.

any suggestions/alternative ideas will be much appreciated.

20200401_151009v2.thumb.jpg.35c82cfacc63a41c828dea9624356e03.jpg20200401_151045v2.thumb.jpg.a07c5f490000baa5ccc0cf337eab16b1.jpg

thanks.

Go to bunning's and look for a product called foilboard, it comes in all sorts of dimensions and thickness. (I have found it in sizes in store that the website does not show). Basically it is Styrofoam in various sizes with an insulating foil attached to one side.

I would use this for the back and sides of your tanks leaving the tops and front open for light, not sure how well your acrylic will work on the front but it will be cheaper and more effective to use the foilboard on the sides and back for sure.

As you already have the acrylic panels and you want light in, I would screw in an aluminium U channel at top and bottom to make sliding rails. I thinkyou can get single or double rails depending on how you want to slide panels. Allow gap - room to lift the panels out when needed. The acrylic will bend with time and letting light in may cause an algae issue. 

Could try plastic channel but aluminium will withstand rough treatment much better. 

i could try velcro, not sure how that will work outdoors but might be a better option than the sliding acrylic as i am having a hard time finding 2 channel 3 meters long.

Yeah, i cant see why it wont work. wouldn't even have to be continuous. just a 100mm piece every half metre or so.

I'm thinking of the double side stick on stuff. ( if that makes any sense)

Cheers. hope ya get it sorted.

did see some wood diy ones but thought that if not done correctly would probably rot (well bottom track at least). was thinking the 10mm  aluminium channel and just put up with having to push one panel back and the other forward so they can pass each other.  gonna try and test with some small channel pieces just haven't got around to testing.