Sign in to follow this  
Brian Smith

Looking to buy Cichlids in Brisbane

Welcome! Use the search bar to find a lot of different content from tank care/breeding/general fish issues. But also don't be afraid to ask questions. Still some very valuable members on the site. 

Look forward to seeing how you tank finishes up. Feel free to post pics! 

23 hours ago, Brian Smith said:

Thanks @QldMick, yep have been doing that. Thinking African from Malawi at this stage

They were the first type I got into. Very interesting from my previous livebearer tank. Figure out what species you're interested and a few fellas on here will be able to point you to the best places to look to obtain good quality animals you wont be disappointed in. 

Look at pseudotropheus flavus, a personal favorite of mine. Regretted selling those bad boys.  

my first malawis were, saulosi, blue males yellow females, and trewavasae blue males ob females. 

i think saulosi are pretty good for beginners due to the different colored sexes, small size, colored fry and they were the most frequent breeders I've had.

36 minutes ago, QldMick said:

my first malawis were, saulosi, blue males yellow females, and trewavasae blue males ob females. 

i think saulosi are pretty good for beginners due to the different colored sexes, small size, colored fry and they were the most frequent breeders I've had.

Yeah good call. Think it helps not having most your tank filled with grey looking females when you want a display. Nice varieties of colour as well with your selection. 

@DFishkeeper has some of the best saulosi stock around. He can help with a variety of africans so could be a one stop shop. 

16 hours ago, hamishh34 said:

Yeah good call. Think it helps not having most your tank filled with grey looking females when you want a display. Nice varieties of colour as well with your selection. 

@DFishkeeper has some of the best saulosi stock around. He can help with a variety of africans so could be a one stop shop. 

Thanks for the wrap @hamishh34 but I'm afraid I'm no longer breeding and currently in the process of closing down and selling off my fishroom. 

Cheers, Doug

15 minutes ago, DFishkeeper said:

Thanks for the wrap @hamishh34 but I'm afraid I'm no longer breeding and currently in the process of closing down and selling off my fishroom. 

Cheers, Doug

Ahh sorry to hear that mate. You have done an awful lot for the hobby and put a lot of work into ensuring quality animals were available for fish enthusiasts. A sad day for the hobby that you have stopped breeding. 

Hope you stick around sharing knowledge here and there and hope all is well with you.  

17 minutes ago, hamishh34 said:

Ahh sorry to hear that mate. You have done an awful lot for the hobby and put a lot of work into ensuring quality animals were available for fish enthusiasts. A sad day for the hobby that you have stopped breeding. 

Hope you stick around sharing knowledge here and there and hope all is well with you.  

Thanks mate, just getting older and the old football injuries are kicking in and the body is finding it harder to manage the workload in a large breeding room. My lovely wife has been very patient and understanding about my hobby for many years and now we are about to become grandparents I have promised her I will take a complete break from fish for a year or two so we can enjoy being retired grandparents together and make lots of trips down to Sydney after the lockouts to visit our daughter and grandchild without having to worry about the fish and fishroom. If I find I am missing fish too much in the future I can always wall off a section of my shed and put in a few smaller tanks that won't require much maintenance, so keeping my options open down the track.

Cheers, Doug

25 minutes ago, DFishkeeper said:

Thanks mate, just getting older and the old football injuries are kicking in and the body is finding it harder to manage the workload in a large breeding room. My lovely wife has been very patient and understanding about my hobby for many years and now we are about to become grandparents I have promised her I will take a complete break from fish for a year or two so we can enjoy being retired grandparents together and make lots of trips down to Sydney after the lockouts to visit our daughter and grandchild without having to worry about the fish and fishroom. If I find I am missing fish too much in the future I can always wall off a section of my shed and put in a few smaller tanks that won't require much maintenance, so keeping my options open down the track.

Cheers, Doug

Makes sense mate. Its good that you are prioritizing your health and family first. It is the most important at the end of the day. I bet you will earn a few brownie points from the wife for doing that! The quarantine period will be longer than I think most will expect so we will all be excited to move around a bit when its over. Congrats on soon becoming a grandparent! You get to experience the joys of the baby without enduring all the sleepless nights haha. 

Everytime I have had someone look after my fish while away tragedy seems to always strike. I have gotten out of keeping also. Hope to do something similar to you at some point. A shed with a few tanks with the fish I seem to always go back to. Will be festae and some flavus or afra hara if I can find any nice ones still around. 

50 minutes ago, johnbetta said:

u can get good americans or African cichlids from mad aquariums in undrwood 

thanks john thats one of bris aquarium shops that i havent been too yet. was thinking of visiting aquariums alive as i will down that way.