Sign in to follow this  
QldMick

who wants colored natives?

just run into a few of these on the net lately so i thought i would save as many as i could on the computer.

sorry some of these have already been posted here but now they'll be all together so people can see the possibilities for natives out their.

2013223113412_xanthic_bass_tallowa.jpg

gold bass.jpg

golden-tiger-940-w940.jpg

PerlandNuget035.jpg

piebald grunter.jpg

premium-gold-940-1-w940.jpg

premium-white-940-1-w940.jpg

yellow saratoga 2.jpeg

yellow saratoga.jpeg

orange sooty.jpg

tandanus 1.jpg

post-6570-14711632340449_thumb.jpg

post-6570-14711632340295_thumb.jpg

tandanus 2.jpg

post-8574-14711628404915_thumb.jpg

barra.jpg

There's a fella around Mackay selling his platinum barra. In his tank he has 3-4 platinum and one gold. He has also had an almost pure black one the pied looking ones. The look crazy cool! 

Also there's some company that breed and export aus lungfish in Australia and they have about 8 varieties of barra, gold (xanthic) sleepy cod and have a few lungfish mutations popped up. Cant remember the name but if anyone wants to know I can dig around to find it. 

The xanthic sooty and eel-tail are my favorite. Closely followed by the xanthic australian bass? 

With turtles we have albino murrays (you posted), a leucistic eastern long-neck, hypo/albino/white (different to albino) emydura subglobosa subglobosa (or red belly sideneck/painted turtle). 

Hopefully in the next few years some more goodies keep popping up and some of the turtle mutations arent costing an arm and a leg! Haha. 

http://www.jardiniinternational.com/fish-collection

i was actually going to buy the yellow tandanus in pic 11 and 14th, but got on the piss so went to pic up a day latter but he told me it was no longer in salable condition and died.

i would of thought that someone would be breeding those light colored tandanus by now seeing as they have popped up in different places.

Ahh yes thats the website, cheers for that. 

Oh no way! Weird that it suddenly just died. Maybe got a better offer from someone else? Was a very nice quality one.. Yeah I thought there would be more of them also. Exotic morphs are a hell of a lot easier to find. Bummer you missed out mate, I am sure you would have been able to get some juvies out. 

There is also another guy around Mackay that got given a free xanthic sleepy cod as well. The lady just gave away her fish and happened to be part of it. Was a lucky fella! I wonder if the other xanthic fish go blind/die early/revert back and forth between normal form and xanthic form like some other fish. Ex parachromis friedrichsthalii now multifasciatus I believe. 

I have attached photos of the two turtle mutations of the emydura subglobosa subglobosa. These are not my photos. 

IMG_6360[1].PNG

IMG_6359[1].PNG

yer i think thats where livefish gets thier lungfish from, as well as the $600 lamington spiny crayfish they had. if only they didnt take 8 years to reach maturity and didnt like roaming the forest floor when it rains. ive feed the same species (rusty colored form from a different location) when they were on land one rainy night they were eating fish chunks i gave them out of water on the foot path.

Yeah I think there were 3 rare species of crayfish that were available. The lamington plateu ones (Euastacus sulcatus), Euastacus Valentulus, and Euastacus Hystricosus - (is this the rust one you hand fed?)

Very cool to see one out of the water on the footpath! Ive only seen the lamington ones. About a meter off the path on a busy walkway. At that point in my life I wasnt very familiar with crayfish except for your common ones like redclaw. So was a huge shock to see one look like that! I couldnt justify the expense of paying for those either. Will take a while for price to go down I would imagine. I would prefer a freshwater moray anyway if I was to go down the native route again. 

On 07/04/2020 at 2:04 PM, hamishh34 said:

Yeah I think there were 3 rare species of crayfish that were available. The lamington plateu ones (Euastacus sulcatus), Euastacus Valentulus, and Euastacus Hystricosus - (is this the rust one you hand fed?)

Very cool to see one out of the water on the footpath! Ive only seen the lamington ones. About a meter off the path on a busy walkway. At that point in my life I wasnt very familiar with crayfish except for your common ones like redclaw. So was a huge shock to see one look like that! I couldnt justify the expense of paying for those either. Will take a while for price to go down I would imagine. I would prefer a freshwater moray anyway if I was to go down the native route again. 

yer we get sulcatus on the western side of the great divide too just their rusty brown red colors. ive kept some very large valentulus, or the strong crayfish. they were caught in nsw were you are allowed to catch them. i actually inquired about breeding and selling them with the qld dpi, and it was a hole heap of bullshit to do it.

On 07/04/2020 at 2:04 PM, hamishh34 said:

yer we get sulcatus on the western side of the great divide too just their rusty brown red colors. ive kept some very large valentulus, or the strong crayfish. they were caught in nsw were you are allowed to catch them. i actually inquired about breeding and selling them with the qld dpi, and it was a hole heap of bullshit to do it.

been a few years now.

Valentulus 1.jpg

Valentulus 2.jpg

Valentulus 3.jpg

7 minutes ago, QldMick said:

Ahh thats cool that you were able to keep them. I only had the blueclaw and redclaw growing up. Still had some impressive sized ones but I dont think they look anywhere near as cool as the euastacus. Are they a hardy crayfish to own? That doesnt sound like the government to be overly difficult to work with haha. Would have been awesome if you could have done it. We need more connections with people in power positions. 

5 minutes ago, QldMick said:

been a few years now.

Valentulus 1.jpg

Valentulus 2.jpg

Valentulus 3.jpg

They are huge!! I particularly love the roughage/protrusions  (not sure of correct term) coming off them. Look prehistoric

i want to keep them again in my 6x2x2 but its them or plants and ive been growing a heaps of anubias on driftwood for a while now.  if you check my other thread you can see i have gotten a little bit back into crayfish again with some cherax albidus.

P4010062 - Copy.JPG

P4090093.JPG

29 minutes ago, QldMick said:

i want to keep them again in my 6x2x2 but its them or plants and ive been growing a heaps of anubias on driftwood for a while now.  if you check my other thread you can see i have gotten a little bit back into crayfish again with some cherax albidus.

P4010062 - Copy.JPG

P4090093.JPG

Ill give it a look now.

Are they entertaining to observe in your previous 6 foot? Ive only kept them with some rougher fish/turtles so theyve always been hidden when I kept them. 

I really like the 'electric blue' ones. Really stand out! I saw some dwarf mexican crays (the orange and white ones) in a brisbane pet store a few years ago. Reckon there is many of them floating around still? Could be an interesting setup with them in a small tank. I know theyre illegal/noxious but doesnt hurt to look around haha.