Sign in to follow this  
goldenswimmers

Ps. Saulosi - Memoirs of a mother

Hey guys,

Hope all are safe and well and now something for you Malawi/African fish heads :applause:

I have a trio of Ps.Salousi adults and original group was larger(so had a different male originally)and now these are the last 3 and well one has become the typical dominant Male but some questions:

1. Can these guys switch sex as adults?? (thought it was too late to be questioning your sexuality :?)

2.Can the new Male then go and have flashbacks to life as a girl and do the mouthbrooding himself??(See pic)

haven't seen the male do the brooding before...… :shock:

IMG_20200413_154431.jpg

Please note guys, these fish are actually called Saulosi, not Salousi.

According to my references they were named after a native porter, Saulos, who was present when they were first discovered in the lake.

Ad Konings has also noted that he has observed on occasion older dominant female fish in the Lake displaying a paler version of male colouration and territorial behaviour in some species, including Saulosi.

Are you sure the eggs being held are fertilised? Have you vent sexed your trio? All 3 are possibly females and the eggs may not be fertilised?

If you want to be precise, the specific epithet component of binomial name is always lowercase, no capitalisation, no exceptions and usually in italics. Not necessary for a hobbyist forum but good to point out spelling mistakes for sure. Thanks Doug.

My observations about male incubation is for african cichlids generally. One of my male frontosa was quite good at assisting.

ok so ive had a male ob eyebiter hold eggs, and i also purchased a eureka red trio that i didnt see before picking up. the light was off and they looked a bit dull but i grabbed them as i always wanted that strain. anyway i get them home and the males only half colored and guess what it spawns just like its a male but it lays eggs along with the girl except it doesn't pick up the eggs only the one thats completely uncolored picks up the eggs for the both of them, which is to many. needless to say their unfertilized and stuck with 3 useless peacocks. im thinking they guy did know about what he was selling as it was suppose to be a breeding trio that couldn't of breed for him.

Sign in to follow this