BettaMale

Advice/recommendations for 150L stocking

Hey all! 
I’m using my time in isolation to set up a new planted tank, and I’m looking to get some input from the experts (that’s you!)

Tank is 90 long, 35 deep and 48 high. Currently growing in plants with a high tech, medium lighting setup, running a canister filter off a 600L aquarium I got from a mate. Just ordered a Fluval 3.0 LED for it, but that’s something for a different thread. I’m looking to do a community tank, with the following.

• 1x Betta (the feature fish)
  • 6x Khuli Loach
  • 6x Corydoras (probably hasbrosus)
  • 6x Otocinclus
  • shoal of Mosquito Rasboras OR
  • shoal of Silvertip Tetras
  • a bunch of inverts like shrimp and snails

I’ve set the tank hardscape up in such a way that it ought to cater to the needs of the fish. The trees (once planted and grown in) should cut the vertical space in half, making the tank less deep for the betta, it should also provide plenty in the way of betta hammocks. The peaceful bottomdwellers should have access to plenty of caves, under root systems, thick midground plants etc to feel safe and explore in. It should also help to keep them “out of sight, out of mind” for the betta too. As for mid level fish, I wanted something small that would shoal and zoom about through the plants and add a splash of colour. My first thought was the rasboras, Boraras brigittae, as they’re small, I can fit like 20 in there, and they’d add a great splash of colour, as well as having an endearing appearance. Recently though, I’ve stumbled upon the Silvertip Tetra, a little (well, not as little as the rasbora) fish with a big personality. I’ve heard they’re outgoing, inquisitive and have fun quirks like converging on a finger touching the glass, or suddenly getting the zoomies. I’ve also heard they can get a bit nippy when kept in smaller numbers, so I know that less than a dozen of them would be a bad mix for a long finned fish (aka betta) or more docile fish (the bottomdwellers) 

I plan to add them gradually so the biofilter doesn’t get overwhelmed; shrimps and snails first, then one bottomdwelling species at a time, then depending on choice, either rasboras then betta, or betta then silvertips, so as to allow the more vulnerable tankmates to get accustomed to their surroundings, learn the safe places, etc before adding the more “boisterous” tankmates in

So my questions, I guess:

1. Is there enough real estate for the bottomdwellers to coexist? (I’m imagining the khulis will be huddled up under a cave during the day, the otos munching on plants when they’re not being fed cucumber slices, and the corys scavenging about in the substrate patches)
  2. Will any of these have issues with each other, or terrorise the inverts?
  3. What should I get in the way of shoaling/schooling fish? Rasboras (can probably have more due to smaller bioload, peaceful, bright pops of red) or Tetras (slightly larger, big personality, nice pops of gold with eponymous silver tips)

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

BDF91E62-C5AE-4F6D-B579-44502F47A45E.jpeg

Lovely tank!   I have a lot of trouble getting plants to grow (especially without getting covered in algae).  Yours look great.

To your questions -

1) Yes, would seem fine to me.  Although you may not see them much.  I have about 15 cories in a 180cms tank, and I rarely see them.  Used to have Kuhli loaches years ago, and they would always bury themselves in the sand, so again, almost an invisible fish.

2) Only trouble spot I can see is the Betta may go after the shrimp, the little ones in particular.  Note that in general Betta is a VERY peaceful fish, and a total wimp compared to most tropicals.  Your selection of fish is good though, they will leave the Betta alone (although I'm not 100% certain about the tetras - but see #3).  In general, if there's an argument, the Betta will lose.  With the shrimp - once you get a colony breeding in there, and only a single (male) Betta, there should be sufficient breeding to withstand the occasional predation by the Betta.  I have had this setup in the past, and it's not ideal if your aim is to maximise the shrimp, but if you're just looking to have both co-exist in the tank, then I'd say it would be OK.  Every fish is different though, and if you pick a Betta with a particular appetite for shrimp and a mean streak - you may have a different experience, but I'd say 80% probability this will work out.

3) For me - the rasboras will likely school better, and they have better colour, so for me this  is an easy decision.  Given the red in the rasboras, I would then choose a Betta with a different colour (NOT red).  On the other hand, if you go with the tetras, which might hassle the betta (I've never had them, so don't really know), then I'd pick a red betta.  With the schooling fish, it's wonderful to see them actually schooling.  I have about 40 rummynose in my discus tank at the moment, and they do this very nicely.  On the other hand, the great majority of tetras I've had over the years just tend to scatter about the tank.  Rasboras in my experience tend to stick together much better than tetras.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael!

Yeah, I’m not expecting to see them a lot during the day, but I work a night shift, so I might see the nocturnal fishies moving about when I get back from work. If not, they’ll make for a good where’s wally type of fish when we’re bored :egrin:

I’m not trying to breed the inverts, I’ve kept them with betta before and it seemed like as long as there was enough of them and enough hiding spots, the betta couldn’t get them all, at least, not before he got bored lol.

with regards to the colours, absolutely. If I get the rasboras, I’ll probably get shrimp that aren’t red and a different coloured betta. If I go the tetras, maybe a red betta and some blue shrimp or something like that. Good advice re: schooling tighter as well, cheers!

Enjoy!  Sounds like a nice little tank,  very pretty with the plants.

In your previous tank, the shrimp would have been breeding - they can breed quickly and keep ahead of a single betta picking off the odd one.  I even had several generations of shrimp survive in a discus tank with a couple of angels - thanks to the plants.  But they did disappear in the end.

Cheers