Sign in to follow this  
Barbarian

Newbie to the Hobby

Hi All!

Just got into the hobby and came across this forum, answered a few questions I had already!

I've had a 90x45x50  (sooo about 200L) for about 3 weeks now, cycle is just about done and added 4 cherry shrimp on the weekend which have managed to stay alive.   See the current progress below, the driftwood has since come out.. I ended up adding the rocks in after I purchased the driftwood and it's just wayyyy too big.. Will need to think again for some hidey holes.. maybe break it up into some pieces.

image.php?id=w3zhk&f=1
Click to view full size!

There's some algae starting to pop up in places but hopefully that settles down as the plants settle in.

Couple of questions:

I've got some Eleocharis and Monte carlo, how are they going to go carpeting.. will one take over the other?

Between the different species of Gourami and Apisto's.. which are less likely to take a liking to the shrimp?  I'm probably going to add something like  Cory's, Otto's, Glass Catfish, some sort of tetra and would like Gourami's/Apistos but realize they may not be the best tank mates.

I've had a few snail hitchhikers from the plants I've got in there too which aren't ideal so hopefully they don't get too out of hand as I don't really want to add anything that will eat them + the shrimp.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Barbarian said:

Between the different species of Gourami and Apisto's.. which are less likely to take a liking to the shrimp?  I'm probably going to add something like  Cory's, Otto's, Glass Catfish, some sort of tetra and would like Gourami's/Apistos but realize they may not be the best tank mates.

Hey Dude,

1st - nice tank.

I keep Gourami - i have a Big Pink GG, a gold spot (normal) and 2x honey dwarfs. I also have Cherryshrimp but keep them only with Endlers and BN's. Endlers dont eat them - other guppies do. My 
GG is a vegetarian & isnt bothered by other tank mates, but Gouramis are clasified as Omnivors - it depends on the species if they will eat other fish/fry or shrimp, but if you have sufficient hiding spots in logs/plants/etc, they should survive and breed.

Nice tank.  Disagree about the driftwood being too big, but it's your tank, do as you please!

Anything that will eat snails, will also eat shrimp.  Snails can be a real pest.  I end up pulling out a couple hundred (manually) every week from my 6 ft discus tank.

I wouldn't trust gourami - any kind - with shrimp either.  Apisto would be OK.

I agree the endlers wont eat shrimp my tigers wont touch the red cherry shrimp that I have same with white opel endlers and its the same with my blue opel endlers none of them eat my shrimp I breed my endlers