QldMick

Sweet potato aquarium grow

Ok seen a few of these on the net I'm going to track progress of my sweet potato aquarium grow.

Never done this so its a bit of an experiment for me. The purpose of doing this is to reduce nitrates.

I'm on water restriction out west here with our dam level on 12%, I try and limit the water changes that I make.

I'm currently cleaning my canisters and do a 50-60% water change every 2-3 months. I tested my water today and had 160pmm.

The sweet potato went in this Friday the 22/05/20, lets see how they go.

P5220407.JPG

P5220418.JPG

P5240456 - Copy.JPG

P5240460.JPG

Definitively post up your results please. You might want to measure pH too as this can affect your nitrate reading and unfortunately high nitrate tends to lower pH. 

I'm going to do similar with climbing ivy because I need a lot of plant mass with only a small filter surface area. I'll use a vertical trellis to maximise space. Just need to get the filter area built. Only the filter will be outside. 

I've also heard papyrus is great as nitrate sponge too. You might be able to sell the excess growth as potted papyrus.  

I'm very interested in this experiment also.  In particular the impact on nitrogen removal, so I hope you find some results there Mick!

The climbing ivy is also interesting - and something Her Ladyship will appreciate more, seeing as the tanks are in the living room!  Anything that can reduce the water changes is a good thing in my book.

On 26/05/2020 at 8:00 PM, aquaholic99 said:

Definitively post up your results please. You might want to measure pH too as this can affect your nitrate reading and unfortunately high nitrate tends to lower pH. 

I'm going to do similar with climbing ivy because I need a lot of plant mass with only a small filter surface area. I'll use a vertical trellis to maximise space. Just need to get the filter area built. Only the filter will be outside. 

I've also heard papyrus is great as nitrate sponge too. You might be able to sell the excess growth as potted papyrus.  

Hi I got a bit worried after I read your post about pH, I measured mine and it was 7, a little low for Africans so I decided to do water change/filter clean.

So I measured using a new api masters test kit before the water change pH - 7, Nitrate - 160.

I did a 70% water change and tested again, pH - 7.2, Nitrate 35, I checked yesterday after the water change and again today and got the same test results. 

Was expecting the nitrate to be slightly higher but maybe changed a bit more of water or the before water change level was slightly lower than it appeared.

On a good note my filter, this clean and last, since using NLS Probiotix, my filter has been noticeably cleaner, one of the claims of the NLS probiotic diet.

A guy did a version of a dirted tank with sweet potato as a filter.  the whole project is up on youtube (if link doesn't work, search Foo the Flowerhorn sweet potato).  From memory, it was pretty effective and the roots were amazing (he had wild betta so heavy root system was great coverage), but the sweet potato disintegrated after a while.  So possibly worth replacing the potato (but then you might have swings while you wait for new roots to establish) from time to time?  Or having a few in at varying times to be able to rotate through the mushy ones?

Keen to hear how it goes.

51 minutes ago, FighterFishClub said:

A guy did a version of a dirted tank with sweet potato as a filter.  the whole project is up on youtube (if link doesn't work, search Foo the Flowerhorn sweet potato).  From memory, it was pretty effective and the roots were amazing (he had wild betta so heavy root system was great coverage), but the sweet potato disintegrated after a while.  So possibly worth replacing the potato (but then you might have swings while you wait for new roots to establish) from time to time?  Or having a few in at varying times to be able to rotate through the mushy ones?

Keen to hear how it goes.

I've read that after a while the sweet potatoes start to rot, but once you have the plants growing you can just take cuttings from them and they'll root.