Sign in to follow this  
gingerbeer

Facebook QLDAF The Revival

I am thinking once we reach 100 members on the facebook we should vote for a moderator of the page.  We probably lost the page as I cannot be bothered to police Facebook rules.  To make sure we do not loose it again we probably need someone who gives a s^$%!

14 hours ago, gingerbeer said:

I am thinking once we reach 100 members on the facebook we should vote for a moderator of the page.  We probably lost the page as I cannot be bothered to police Facebook rules.  To make sure we do not loose it again we probably need someone who gives a s^$%!

Yeah FB really destroyed a huge community of fish keepers haha. I remember when everyday would be flooded with posts (not just sales). Im glad to see less of the keepers trying to make a quick buck by breeding anything and everything. 

SHould be able to use the FB page to direct sales to the forum which should at least get some more members and activity going. 

The page just needs admin that turn post approval on. It makes it a little slower getting posts put on the page but will ensure these ridiculous rules are met. 

Once we get to 100 members I think we will look for a moderator who loves Facebook.  

To be blunt, we had at the time the top post as admin saying that we support stores, all stores can post.  Private sellers can post here.  Please respect Facebook rules.  Livestock posts go to the forum here.  

The buggers than deleted our group and have had a request to review active for over a month with no reply.   I am seriously thinking of starting a page to have members join to protest the disregard facebook have for this hobby, then remember I have a life.  

So yes, we need someone who loves facebook and gives a f$%^.  I have no more f&#%’s to give.  

Hi Steve,

I do not understand why there is a desire to have a QLDAF Facebook page. I stopped posting fish for sale on QLDAF when I realised to my horror these adverts were getting exposure on facebook and facebook people I didn't know were contacting me. 

Actually I stopped posting here for quite a while as a result and don't visit that often so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, aquaholic99 said:

Hi Steve,

I do not understand why there is a desire to have a QLDAF Facebook page. I stopped posting fish for sale on QLDAF when I realised to my horror these adverts were getting exposure on facebook and facebook people I didn't know were contacting me. 

Actually I stopped posting here for quite a while as a result and don't visit that often so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

I do not take your comment with a grain of salt.  Actually the opposite.  I value the long term hobbyists who have given to this industry.  

Facebook to me was a necessary evil.  I do not want members to miss out on sale potential.  The problem continues to be with facebook the value of the face poster without the empty of knowledge.  Depth of knowledge is never visible on Facebook, but very visible on forums.  

Now you have made me feel old!

Unfortunately a fair few people dont read rules or dont care enough to follow them so sale posts will always sneak their way through. 

A necessary evil indeed. A lot of young hobbyist wouldnt know about the forum as FB has all that they need in their eyes. So at least gives some the opportunity to visit the forum and have a gander. Even if only a small group signup its a win in my eyes. 

I have heard of a few reviews on some pages taking months to be looked at. I would imagine its not their major priority to review pages and that many get taken down so just is a slow process overall. 

As much as I hate to admit it, I used FB regularly. So I would consider putting my hand up to help out. I do work fulltime so I wont be on all day everyday. 

I think we need to use Facebook as a tool to bring them here and if they knew they could sell in peace here you might win more people than you think...I'm pretty keen to promote this place again as Facebook will not let you sell any livestock and there are some very ugly I mean wise mugs on this site :eyebrows:

The rule changes with Facebook always made me think this could be a great chance for forums to get back to how they were just before the Facebook scenario happened....forums really aren't hard to use and if you want to be a trickster :eyebrows: have both pages (QLDAF and Facebook) open at the same time :? so you can discuss on both platforms and sell on the one where it is permitted..kind of makes sense to me..

I think it's just getting a new crowd into that frame of mind...there has been a few other apps that have taken off and where people have moved their selling but to be honest it seems to have split the crowd rather than been a movement and I think more people are still on Facebook "suggesting" they have fish to move along as their method of selling but it's risky and definitely not the way you want to discuss fish you are interested in or wish to sell....we just have to berley up the water...the sharks will come back :applause: :eyebrows:

hey @ gingerbeer theres better options than facebook where you can sell fish, theres a few members on here that are on there, and you can make people apply instead of just joining, im loving it  , maybe a 3rd platform might be the go ,, i will pm you the details

I do not see the value in attracting people primarily interested in buying or selling fish. If this forum did not have a buy/sell section, only visitors needing meaningful information or information exchange would join. Is that a good thing ? I guess it depends on this forums expectations and goals. Not having a sales section would increase interest in the breeders register and hppefully fish quality. Perhaps having a species swap (no sales) might promote community spirit. 

Another aspect is the disputes that often arise from buying and selling. Bringing disrepute to a forum which has little or no control on someone who wants to be malicious. Or not being able to mention non sponsor shops. Such a bad conflict of interest. Gumtree does Want to Buy & Sales very well. 

If a report was generated in the number of members that used the buy & sell section only, it would be revealing. 

It's getting easier to foster an online interactive community with technology improvements. Perhaps a weekly virtual chat session so people can recognise faces or create belonging. 

I'm not on FB and will not join, so the FB group is totally irrelevant to me.  For the forum - I agree it must NOT be primarily about buying & selling fish.  The information sharing and community is where I get value from the forum.  Being able to ask any (stupid) question and get reasonable answers without offensive remarks.  Asking for suggestions on various things (e.g. tankmates for a fish, or how one could do a certain type of tank).  Where to obtain hard to find species, whether certain species even occur in Australia.  The knowledge here is fantastic.

The sales section is nevertheless a key part.  I've purchased numerous fish from people I've found on the forum, and also sold a few.  Passing on some fish you've lost interest in, or fish that will no longer work in a re-designed tank, should remain a part of the forum.  I'd much prefer to sell a fish to someone I've met on the forum rather than some random on Gumtree.  Where to draw the line between such legitimate "hobby-based trading" and "selling for profit without contributing to the hobby" is difficult.

For me personally, the message board format works better than any fixed-schedule face-time session.  In general, in other forums, positive initiatives seem to work better than negative ones.  I.e. things like "tank of the month" work better than "banning the mention of non-sponsors".

Just my 2c.

Sign in to follow this