Sign in to follow this  
MFF

Galaxias?

Looking around at native fish suitable for an aquarium, www.nativefish.asn.au go through a wide range of local fish, many of which are described as being "attractive and easy to keep aquarium fish".

Among these are various galaxias species, including the spotted galaxias.  I've never seen any of these in QLD - does anyone keep them?

I wouldn't recommend any Galaxias unless you have a chiller added to your tank, assuming you live in SEQ.  There are Galaxias native to Qld namely the Galaxias olidus (Mountain Galaxias) and Galaxias maculatus (common galaxias).  You find both in the upland cooler streams towards Toowoomba, although olidus is in the Condamine system, while maculatus hangs out in the Gold Coast upper catchments (although, I have never actually caught any myself).  maculatus is actually spread around the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans being amphidromous.  I assume that Spotted Galaxias are Galaxias truttaceus, and if they are, they are a truly gorgeous fish - which I saw my very first live ones at the 2019 ANGFA Convention in Melbourne.  But those guys do prefer it being below 25 degC all the time.  Just be aware that this is one of the larger Galaxiads (for Australia, NZ ones get bigger) and will grow up to 12".  There are some ANGFA members in Victoria who keep them, but they aren't very common in the hobby.

Thanks Ancalimon.

Yes the truttaceus was the one in particular I was looking at.  I have 6 ft tanks, and thinking a small group would look nice in my planted tank.  I came across these looking for larger fish that will go well in planted tanks.

Yes I'm in SEQ - just on the edge of Brisbane.  I paid attention to the conservation status (and didn't suggest the barred galaxias fuscus for that reason), but couldn't find any information on water parameters.  I did see they occur naturally along the southern edge of the continent and Tasmania - but was hopeful they could tolerate our weather!  My tanks sit at 27 in summer without the heaters on.

I suppose they're difficult or impossible to breed in an aquarium also, as it involves a marine stage.

Anyway - thanks for the reply.

Any other suggestions for larger fish (native or non-native) that are safe in planted tanks?  Something at least the size of Discus or Angelfish, not necessarily round in shape?

Cheers

Indeed they are.  And they are my fallback option if I don't find anything else, that is larger.  Ideally 20cm or more.  I've got a few rainbowfish in there at the moment, and a pair of angelfish (that I can move if necessary).  My thoughts were to get something large that is plant safe as a centrepiece, but not the usual angels or discus.

If not - purple spots it is - which is actually a nice fish I've been considering for a while anyway.