Sign in to follow this  
hamishh34

Gold Apistogramma Macmasteri

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for some high quality 'gold' apistogramma macmasteri. Hoping to find some with nice red colouration. 

Also willing to consider normal 'high red' individuals. 

Please let me know of where I should be looking or if you have any. 

Cheers! 

That is going to be a hard fish to source.  I have just got some brilliant A. Borellii and A. Baenchi.  The guys at Annerley ordered 6 and gave me first pick (Before one of their own staff - sorry). 

I visited last weekend and the guys their said hang on, and checked live what they could get.  No Gold Macs on the list but some other interesting species.  

I just wish Bay was better at sexing as both species came in male heavy, but great size and good value fish IMO.  

Steve

I found some Apistos down in Syd at Nanotanksaustralia. Got a pair of fire gold agassizzi coming next week and a pair of killis.

They had trifasciata and some orange flash cacas, double reds, triple reds, double red agas, borellii. There were a couple others earlier in the week or last week when I first found em but guess they sold. Maybe they can source gold macs but I've only ever seen gold cacas in Aus myself. Found them online somewhere, maybe livefish or somewhere like that. Might be worth messaging Nanotanksaustralia and the place that has gold cacas, see if they can help you find em.

Seems Apistos are still highly underrated and relatively unknown in Aus :(

16 hours ago, gingerbeer said:

That is going to be a hard fish to source.  I have just got some brilliant A. Borellii and A. Baenchi.  The guys at Annerley ordered 6 and gave me first pick (Before one of their own staff - sorry). 

I visited last weekend and the guys their said hang on, and checked live what they could get.  No Gold Macs on the list but some other interesting species.  

I just wish Bay was better at sexing as both species came in male heavy, but great size and good value fish IMO.  

Steve

Thanks mate. Love Annerley aquarium. You must be important or very annoying if they gave you first pick haha. Hopefully you can get some photos up of your new additions. I saw gold macs on the list a few weeks back I am pretty sure, but they havent been available since I last saw them. They currently only have 'high red' (which are just decent quality normal's, nothing special from the few people I have seen that got some) and 'red neck veija' which are the exact same as the Macs as no veija in Australia and vary scarcely available overseas. 

Not expecting them to pop up soon so I will wait around haha. With the sexing, sub dom males can be a pain to distinguish from the females so depending on their size it may be hard. They yellow/blue borellii variety I have seen sold, are they much different to the standard ones? I really liked the looks of them also. I am only familiar with the macmasteri, not so much the other species. 

9 hours ago, BigPete86 said:

I found some Apistos down in Syd at Nanotanksaustralia. Got a pair of fire gold agassizzi coming next week and a pair of killis.

They had trifasciata and some orange flash cacas, double reds, triple reds, double red agas, borellii. There were a couple others earlier in the week or last week when I first found em but guess they sold. Maybe they can source gold macs but I've only ever seen gold cacas in Aus myself. Found them online somewhere, maybe livefish or somewhere like that. Might be worth messaging Nanotanksaustralia and the place that has gold cacas, see if they can help you find em.

Yeah I checked with them as well. Fire golds are nice. those and borellii or hongsloi would be the next varity I would consider if i cant find the gold/high red macs. 

Gold Macs have been around in Aus for a while. A few people on here used to breed them but they have been inactive for a while. Trying to source them through some of the apisto breeders I know but they specialize in wild caught species so morphs arent something they've kept too many tabs on. Will definitely  be chasing up some of your leads though mate. Nanotanks should have some idea. Bayfish used to have them so I will try getting in contact with them also. 

Theres a few fellas that are really into it keeping some really nice WC species. If you join the FB group Dwarf Cichlids Australia you will see theres still a few enthusiasts around. Underrated still though. After stints with large american cichlids I am appreciating the idea of a small tank setup to look after for a pair and not a 6 footer hahah. 

Cheers mate I'll check them out. Never use stalkbook aside from Marketplace but that's a worthy reason to jump on, I would love to see what's actually out there.

Used to breed a few types of Apistos before I switched to Tanganyikans years and years ago (was too time consuming to keep acidic tanks on my available water when I moved). Gave it up for a few years while life was unstable, lockdown hit and got really bored, sick of not having tanks, tested local water and it's fairly neutral pH, low hardness, have access to rainwater... Boom 4 tanks set up, 3 stocked;

2x nano planted 35L and 70L with shrimp

1x 110L planted with CPDs and Hastatus Corys

1x 170L planted cycled and waiting for Apisto pair, Killi pair and some pygmy Cory's next week

2 ponds outside cycling... MTS hit hard and fast lmao

Was thinking about potentially dividing the bigger pond into 2-3 sections, wiring in a solar heater, back up battery, extra solar panel on top of my lil one to run pumps then maybe pond breeding a couple pairs of Apistos but the risk of having them outside and not seeing them much would probably make me paranoid about their wellfare constantly :cry: don't wanna lose sleep over fish... Hear a noise outside at stupid o'clock am and be running outside to make sure they're ok lol

Some people do livebearers in ponds in bris year round, guppies look great and show well, I think mollies would be another colorful top dweller you could keep an eye on.

17 hours ago, BigPete86 said:

I support anyone who can get quality stock

8 hours ago, hamishh34 said:

Thanks mate. Love Annerley aquarium. You must be important or very annoying if they gave you first pick haha. Hopefully you can get some photos up of your new additions. I saw gold macs on the list a few weeks back I am pretty sure, but they havent been available since I last saw them. They currently only have 'high red' (which are just decent quality normal's, nothing special from the few people I have seen that got some) and 'red neck veija' which are the exact same as the Macs as no veija in Australia and vary scarcely available overseas. 

Not expecting them to pop up soon so I will wait around haha. With the sexing, sub dom males can be a pain to distinguish from the females so depending on their size it may be hard. They yellow/blue borellii variety I have seen sold, are they much different to the standard ones? I really liked the looks of them also. I am only familiar with the macmasteri, not so much the other species. 

I suspect I am really annoying.  If you have time go and check what they got.  The Borellii are a great size and there may be another female.  I am tempted to get another boy as I currently have 1 boy two girls.  gold for other species but these guys tend no to harem as much.  I have 6 tanks and really happy with 3 of the tanks.  1 of the others has a wife’s favourite so.....

Yeah Ginger for sure, I wanted a quality pair to start breeding again. Been looking for a few weeks, couldn't find local breeders with the specific (and scarce) fish I wanted so I tried online livestock for the first time 2 weeks ago, now just made my 4th online livestock order just then when I got home. Stoked with the quality of all fish and shrimp so far. Ended up calling nanotanks the other day as the pic of the fire gold on their website was just a Google one. David was very helpful with my questions, he reassured me with his methods and experience in shipping livestock then texted me a video of the actual fish I'd get, I placed the order as soon as we were done talking :)

Sounds like I may need another tank cycled or shuffle some shrimp around if I get a reason for work trip up to Bris or something and visit Annerley xD

Gingerbeer said...

I have 6 tanks and really happy with 3 of the tanks.  1 of the others has a wife’s favourite so.....

Common problem!!  I've got three big tanks (and a couple of small ones).  Two tanks I'm really happy with, the third - not allowed to remove certain fish...

Do *I* tell *her* what to do in the garden, I ask??

21 hours ago, BigPete86 said:

Cheers mate I'll check them out. Never use stalkbook aside from Marketplace but that's a worthy reason to jump on, I would love to see what's actually out there.

Used to breed a few types of Apistos before I switched to Tanganyikans years and years ago (was too time consuming to keep acidic tanks on my available water when I moved). Gave it up for a few years while life was unstable, lockdown hit and got really bored, sick of not having tanks, tested local water and it's fairly neutral pH, low hardness, have access to rainwater... Boom 4 tanks set up, 3 stocked;

2x nano planted 35L and 70L with shrimp

1x 110L planted with CPDs and Hastatus Corys

1x 170L planted cycled and waiting for Apisto pair, Killi pair and some pygmy Cory's next week

2 ponds outside cycling... MTS hit hard and fast lmao

Unfortunately their old page was taken down by fb two weeks ago so a lot of photos/info/members are no longer in the new page. The new one only started up 10 days ago so still quite small and most breeders wont be back in yet but its slowly getting there with around 200 members. Theres a few members who can really help you out with what species are available. 

Thats why I like deep generation captive bred animals becasue they handle a wider parameter range haha. WC's are bot for me yet. I feel like lockdown has gotten a few members back on board with fishkeeping haha.  Would enjoy seeing photos of your setups when theyre done mate!

15 hours ago, gingerbeer said:

I support anyone who can get quality stock

I suspect I am really annoying.  If you have time go and check what they got.  The Borellii are a great size and there may be another female.  I am tempted to get another boy as I currently have 1 boy two girls.  gold for other species but these guys tend no to harem as much.  I have 6 tanks and really happy with 3 of the tanks.  1 of the others has a wife’s favourite so.....

I always check them when I am back in Brisbane. Used to be my 'local' but moved to Rockhampton and as much as I like Annerely Aquarium, I wont be doing the 8 hour trip for just a visit haha. Are you planning on keeping the two pairs in the same tank if they pair up? Get those photos up! WOuld love to see what everyone else is keeping. 

At the end of the day, keep the wife happy. As long as she has interest in 1 you will be allowed to keep all yours!

8 hours ago, hamishh34 said:

Unfortunately their old page was taken down by fb two weeks ago so a lot of photos/info/members are no longer in the new page. The new one only started up 10 days ago so still quite small and most breeders wont be back in yet but its slowly getting there with around 200 members. Theres a few members who can really help you out with what species are available. 

Thats why I like deep generation captive bred animals becasue they handle a wider parameter range haha. WC's are bot for me yet. I feel like lockdown has gotten a few members back on board with fishkeeping haha.  Would enjoy seeing photos of your setups when theyre done mate!

2/4 are photo ready (although one has pretty scratched glass, a second hand octagon tank, kind of a preliminary planted tank "build" of an acrylic cylinder tank I want to get one day soon). 3rd will be photo ready tomorrow or Monday when I get time to install the new filter I built, been waiting on glue to dry. Then the 4th, the apisto tank, mid week when fushes arrive. So I'll do a proper pic page up next week ;)

Here's a couple of the hex tank in the meantime, from early this week. 

Plants are filling out nicely, more on the way this week to cover up my fat arse custom intake (high flow/turnover yet low overall suction on the intake surface to not suck up tiny CPD and Hastatus fry), and the heater is being swapped for a sexy lil digital one. Build was in progress on other tanks, shite everywhere and messy wires on shrimp tank waiting for new filter to finish. Proper pics will be cleaner I promise lol

IMG_20200704_192008.jpg

11 minutes ago, BigPete86 said:

2/4 are photo ready (although one has pretty scratched glass, a second hand octagon tank, kind of a preliminary planted tank "build" of an acrylic cylinder tank I want to get one day soon). 3rd will be photo ready tomorrow or Monday when I get time to install the new filter I built, been waiting on glue to dry. Then the 4th, the apisto tank, mid week when fushes arrive. So I'll do a proper pic page up next week ;)

Here's a couple of the octa tank in the meantime, from early this week. 

Plants are filling out nicely, more on the way this week to cover up my fat arse custom intake (high flow/turnover yet low overall suction on the intake surface to not suck up tiny CPD and Hastatus fry), and the heater is being swapped for a sexy lil digital one. Build was in progress on other tanks, shite everywhere and messy wires on shrimp tank waiting for new filter to finish. Proper pics will be cleaner I promise lol

IMG_20200704_192008.jpg

IMG_20200704_193512.jpg

Sign in to follow this