Sign in to follow this  
Slipshodman

Tank Dividers / Egg Crate /DYI Options / alternatives

Hi All, 

I am local to the Penrith/Blue Mountains area NSW.

Just wondering where you get egg crate for tank dividers, or any DYI tips to make you own with other bits and pieces or other alternatives as dividers. (none of my LFS have egg crate)

The tanks are up and running so I cant silicon in perspex, glass  and want to be able to take them in/out reasonably easily (and need to do a custom fit on a half round tank as well) 

Thanks in advance 

Cheers 

You can get it from electrical wholesalers / suppliers and it is called defuser sheeting. Pity you were not in QLD as I have several full sheets never used.

I cut glass to make a divider and slip it diagonally into a rectangular tank. So no finicky issues to hold in place. Even strong fish can't push it over or slip past.

Glass is less noticable too. Or better yet, get extra glass and build a few more tanks if you are running out of room. 

If you have small or delicate fish, build or buy a floating net container. 

If you just want lots of cheap tanks and don't care about looks,  use polystyrene fish boxes and a potable acrylic paint to seal. (taubmans roof paint). Easy to install drainage pipes. Can stagger stack 3 rows high & end on  with half the box open. My first 200 tanks were done this way when i was 12 years old. 

14 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

Can stagger stack 3 rows high & end on  with half the box open. My first 200 tanks were done this way when i was 12 years old. 

Thanks for everyone's ideas, 

200 tanks at 12 years old, you are a legend of the hobby 

That was a few years ago.  Now I've got 12 tanks and I'm 200 years old!  Ha ha.

I make stackable floating tanks from PE containers and aluminium mesh. Heat transfer the mesh onto plastic with a soldiering iron. Also plastic flower pots in low water level tanks make great flow through tanks if you need to keep lots of fish separated. 

Sign in to follow this