Mitte

Help. Should I buy this ?

Been trawling the interwebs for my first serious tank. I've had smaller tanks in the past, but have found the tank enviroment difficult to keep stable.

I'm thinking that if I get a larger tank, that would create an enviroment that will be less prone to sudden flutuations and hopefully result in happier fish.

Can't seem to find much out there but I did find 2 options that may be OK, though I guess I would not know if a tank was OK if it bit me on the bum ! :egrin:

My budget is around $ 1.700 for the tank and wizz bang extras to keep it going. 

Will need  a stand which is enclosed on the front and sides but not nessesary for the back. 

Length of tank to be approx 1200 - 1500mm ( longer will obstruct the lounge entry )

So the first possibility I found is at Aquariums R us. link --> http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/dealsp.htm Scroll down to  48" x 24" x 24" Deluxe Deal

The second option so far is on Ebay and located at Underwood . I can inspect before committing to buy. link --> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUNSUN-Premium-Aquarium-with-Cabinet-100cm-120cm-150cm-180cm/312866225663?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=611588897774&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 .. 120 option. Would take 150 if it was available.

Opinions appreciated.

I figure that having seen the wonderful tanks shown here, the options I've found are probably not good.

Cheers

ive got tanks from aquaruims are us over the years and the build seems pretty good,

the problem i have with the all in one tanks with built in light and heaters is if something stops working ,youve gotta replace it with a new one which in the case of an led light thats built in will be a shit of a job if its moulded into the lid

they do look neat and everything is hidden but my concerns with pumps from the sump below is that theyre either cheap and nssty or not strong enough to do the job properly

and with the sump underneath i cant see any piping coming up to the top of the tank  so if thats the case if you lose power it could potentially drain completely into the sump and then overflow on your floors 

my other dillemma would be the kelvin rating on the lights,is it the right one if you are having a planted tank,around 6000k

id go with the first option and buy a canister filter and independant light source,but i loke things that work,fancy doesnt always live up to the hype

I looked at Aquariums R Us and I also had the impression that the actual glass part of the tank is decent.  That package you point at has pretty basic components, but it can all work.  At least for a while.  I did not buy from here because the stand is a bit crude, and is completely unfinished.  People who buy these setups typically paint or stain the stands/cabinets, at least for waterproofing and more if the tank is going in a living room.  For me, that was problematic as I'm all thumbs, and the boss lady is pretty demanding in her expectations on the finish.

Note that most of the tanks you see on here can be spectacular in terms of fish and plants, but the stands are often pretty rubbish.  In fact, there seems to be an inverse relationship between the seriousness of the fishkeeper and the prettiness of the stand - "real fishkeepers" keep their tanks (multiples) in the shed on plain metal racks!!

I would agree with billfish - if you're buying a package, you want to spend as much time looking at the equipment you're getting as well, making sure it is fit for purpose.  There are many packages out there that look cheap - because they use very cheap components.  The Aquariums R Us one is basic, but adequate to get started.  You might be replacing some pieces of equipment over time though.  Even on a display tank in the living room (such as I have - I'm clearly not a "real fishkeeper"), you want the tank/stand to look good, but you also want equipment that works over the long term because that's how you get the underwater part of the tank to look good.

Lighting in particular is important, because good lights can be very expensive, and replacing lights on a built in system can be very tricky - or lead to a solution that works but looks ugly.  Trust me on this one.

38 minutes ago, MFF said:

I looked at Aquariums R Us and I also had the impression that the actual glass part of the tank is decent.  That package you point at has pretty basic components, but it can all work.  At least for a while.  I did not buy from here because the stand is a bit crude, and is completely unfinished.  People who buy these setups typically paint or stain the stands/cabinets, at least for waterproofing and more if the tank is going in a living room.  For me, that was problematic as I'm all thumbs, and the boss lady is pretty demanding in her expectations on the finish.

Note that most of the tanks you see on here can be spectacular in terms of fish and plants, but the stands are often pretty rubbish.  In fact, there seems to be an inverse relationship between the seriousness of the fishkeeper and the prettiness of the stand - "real fishkeepers" keep their tanks (multiples) in the shed on plain metal racks!!

I would agree with billfish - if you're buying a package, you want to spend as much time looking at the equipment you're getting as well, making sure it is fit for purpose.  There are many packages out there that look cheap - because they use very cheap components.  The Aquariums R Us one is basic, but adequate to get started.  You might be replacing some pieces of equipment over time though.  Even on a display tank in the living room (such as I have - I'm clearly not a "real fishkeeper"), you want the tank/stand to look good, but you also want equipment that works over the long term because that's how you get the underwater part of the tank to look good.

Lighting in particular is important, because good lights can be very expensive, and replacing lights on a built in system can be very tricky - or lead to a solution that works but looks ugly.  Trust me on this one.

im a part real fish keeper then, i have a tank,made by aquariums r us in the loungeroom, keeps the wife happy being full of things like cardinal tetras and the usual livebearers, the other stuff is all downstairs away from everyone cos its not pretty enough for her precious friends to see

6 hours ago, mcfry40 said:

Got this whole package 12 months  ago 5ft x18wx20ht ,clear coated it .

I love it ,from aquariums r us .Darren.

Runs fx6 ,1 internal ,2 sponges.. 

20200724_093722.jpg

Thanks for the pic.

Cuold you rate your experience out of 10 please.

A. Pine cabinet quality.

B. Tank workmanship.

C. Sales experience and helpfulness of staff.

Was it delivered and if so, what was the charge ?

Thanks in advance !

I did have a chat { via messenger } with Leila from Dennison a few days ago. Sent some pics and was going to let me know some prices , But that went cold. Not sure why. :?

No problems mate just some light sanding ,great quality like I said I have known Darren for 20 years never had any issues. All above was good his wife is awesome as well.

My dad has about 10 tanks as well .

My best mate has about 8.

He was the man when things where pumping.

Delivery cost about $50-80.

Best bet to place order on phone and pay on  the phone or drop in.

All pics on his website busy people.

Good luck .

Rating 9 

Yes pine.

Jas

As I've had a few positives about Aquariums R us, I went through the individual prices they have published and discovered that by a bit of tweaking, I've ended up with a 5 foot tank instead of a 4 foot tank ( both with enclosed stand and hood ) for just $91 extra. 

5 foot is the Goldilocks length for my space, with the tradeoff being 18 inches front to back instead of 24 inches and just 20 liters less in volume.

I plan on going to the store at Meadowbrook on monday to get a close up look.

Cheers !

17 hours ago, Mitte said:

As I've had a few positives about Aquariums R us, I went through the individual prices they have published and discovered that by a bit of tweaking, I've ended up with a 5 foot tank instead of a 4 foot tank ( both with enclosed stand and hood ) for just $91 extra. 

5 foot is the Goldilocks length for my space, with the tradeoff being 18 inches front to back instead of 24 inches and just 20 liters less in volume.

I plan on going to the store at Meadowbrook on monday to get a close up look.

Cheers !

Seems they are closed Mondays, so will have to be Friday instead.

Dennisson has built all my 8x3x2 in the past and my 1m cube..cant fault anythIng about his tanks ,as your tank is under 2 ft off the shelf ones are fine

other option is a G. Maher tank and the only place i know that sells them is smiths aquarium at Boondall but you could probably ring G Maher and find out who else distributes them