Mitte

Another Question......

Been thinking after visiting aquarium shops, that my plan to have Tetras and other small fish may not have the visual appeal I'm looking for...

So another idea and one I should have had earlier as I have had these fish before many years ago.

Should I instead feature a tank of Gouramies in my preferred tank size of 5 feet and add communal tetras, plattys, Corydora, Rasbora, Mollys ?

Will this work and which varieties of Gouramies and others mentioned above should I avoid ? I don't want anything that grows over approx 15 cm.

With 400L ( 105 Gal ) , how many fish would be optimal.

The tank will be planted and left to establish before introducing fish.

Anyone who knows anything about the above, please, please, please put down your thoughts and advice here ..

Many thanks. :esmile:

that will work but keep in mind some groumis can be fisty but apart from that it will work the pearl groumi is great but get a few 2 males and 3 females u could all so add bristle nose catfish i can hook u up with them cheers john

most of your gourami will top out at about 10 of so cm

i would stay away from angels if you have a

planted tank with delicate or fine leaf plants 

if youre going to get cories make sure you have fine almost sand like gravel as coarse gravel will damage their barbels

i would consider 

cardinal tetras

glowlight tetra

head and tail lights

rummy nose

black neons

harlequin rasboras

scissortail rasboras

dwarf gouramis  

bristle nose

clown loach

your usual live bearers.mollies,guppies,swords

rams or bolivian butterfly which look like rams just bigger

marble hatchetfish 6 or more

paradise fish

rosey barbs

tiger barbs , more than 6 or they will harrass other fish instead of fighting amongst their selves

if youre going to put bristlenose in put some wood as they need it for their diet

these are just fish ive had and like ,not aĺl at once in the same tank

to maximise the tank and not overcrowd one level in the tank get fish that live in different levels of the water column, catfish inhabit the bottom level, anything with upturned mouths usually inhabit the top level and so on

Thankyou so much for your advice johnbetta and billfish.

20 hours ago, johnbetta said:

that will work but keep in mind some groumis can be fisty but apart from that it will work the pearl groumi is great but get a few 2 males and 3 females u could all so add bristle nose catfish i can hook u up with them cheers john

I was thinking about 7 - 10 gourami in a 5 foot tank. Would that be too many ?

On 29/07/2020 at 4:38 PM, billfish said:

most of your gourami will top out at about 10 of so cm

i would stay away from angels if you have a

planted tank with delicate or fine leaf plants 

if youre going to get cories make sure you have fine almost sand like gravel as coarse gravel will damage their barbels

Thank you. Sand like gravel is noted !

Pity about the Angels. I found some Black Angels at Loganholme. They look absolutely stunning !