Mitte

Been checking out 5 ft Aquariums

On friday, I went out to look at aquariums on the southside.

Found 2 places that sell 5 footers.

First up, went to Aquariums R us. Yes, they are the cheapest I have seen so far, BUT, you certainly see the compromise on the quality of the tank and more so, the cabinet. Don't think I can live with that as the centerpiece of my home and it will be the first thing people will see when entering my home. 

The other tank and stand I found at Loganholme, was an Aqua One Brilliance 150.

This is a very impressive looking unit, very pleasing on the eye. Also the workmanship on the tank is just so clean. The glass is just beautiful and the joins at the corners are perfect.

Looks like I may have to increase my budget slightly for this setup. Well worth the extra dollars I think.

https://aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16-04-47-04/2015-04-16-06-00-17/aquariums/brilliance-2/item/2923-54110bk

I know that some are happy with Aquariums R us, but to me, the workmanship was too 'clunky' for my liking. For the price of the cabinet, I would expect the pine to be sanded smooth and the doors to be aligned. As it was, the display tank and cabinet on the right as you enter the store was not presented well. The tank was not clean and for a display unit, the cabinet doors were not straight and one door rested on its opposing door when shut. I mentioned this to the lady of the store and asked if I ordered, would the cabinet be more presentable, and she said You get what you get. That sort of put me off. Price isn't everything.

So, Do you think I may be a bit harsh in my judgement ? Seems my choice so far is price or quality. Personally, I prefer quality, but would be open to a setup that is midway between the 2.

Next friday, I will venture to the northside for a look.

Any suggestions on where I should go ?

Cheers !

I noticed that aquaone tank comes with a canister which is great because built in filters don't really do the job on a tank that size.

I have a 5ft aqua nova that originaly had built in filters but have now been replaced with a canister.

42 minutes ago, QldMick said:

I noticed that aquaone tank comes with a canister which is great because built in filters don't really do the job on a tank that size.

I have a 5ft aqua nova that originaly had built in filters but have now been replaced with a canister.

LOL , Yes. The fact that it has a cannister filter included is a plus for me. I've had a few small hobby tanks with the built in filter in the lid in the past, and all had failed before 12 months.