Sign in to follow this  
BigPete86

Low tech Nano Planted x3, 2.5ft planted and 4ft planted progress thread

Well so much for taking it slow getting back into the hobby... 5 tanks and 2 ponds already xD

Gonna track progress and growth here on plants comparing pics and maybe throw in some fry pics if a few breeding plans come to fruition ;)

No CO2 on any tanks, using flourite and river sand divided in the 4ft with the flourite mostly capped with small river stones. Fine sand and flourite in the 2 shrimp tanks, fluval stratum and fine sand in sections in the CPD/Hastatus tank and a mix of all 3 in the 2.5ft divided in sections. Using liquid ferts on all and a few root tabs in certain spots. Led lights on all bar 1 but will be upgrading the old T5 twin 30cm soon.

Good growth on all so far, lightly planted to start and letting the plants fill in to eventually get the wild overgrown look. Currently have lots of algae on 2 tanks by mistake (timer failure) and 1 tank on purpose due to some red lizard whiptails coming next week. They'll enjoy what would be a small chore for me and munch it all lol

As for the other tanks, algae control is finally coming for the 2.5ft, CPD octagon tank and the 4ft in the form of Borneo suckers next week too woohoo

So first lot of pics and hopefully they'll get better as I finish them off (4ft and 2.5ft both need a little more wood or rocks for caves and the box shrimp tank for the red lizards is getting a bit more branchy wood at the back behind the plants) and hopefully the plants mature and fill in nice but main thing is breeding the fish and keeping them happy which they are :)

Apistogramma Agassizii fire gold, Aphyosemion Australe Killi, Rasbora Maculata tank, 175L 2.5fter.

3 problems with this tank, it's unfinished needing more caves this week, too much algae from timer failure on my lights but the Borneo suckers will fix that. Main thing I wish I fixed before setting it up is the smear on the painted back from the chook or bird that decided to shit on it while it was drying then I lazily patched it and didn't match the blue fade but the plants will cover that eventually. 

IMG_20200802_012737.jpg

IMG_20200802_020259.jpg

4fter Bolivian Ram, Purple Spotted Gudgeon tank unfinished. Slightly oversized with triple paned ends, 260L I think but will calculate properly when I finish it off this week. More caves and plants to go in, also 3 paradise fish in there that were in a pond. Not sure if they'll stay there or go back in the pond yet

IMG_20200802_011914.jpg

IMG_20200802_012838.jpg

IMG_20200802_012146.jpg

The lil box tank with blue cherry shrimp, red nose caridina and ninja shrimp. There's a berried NQ algae shrimp in there too, unexpected bonus species tag along lol

This tank is just getting a few branches up the back for the red lizard whips to "climb" on and it's done. Maybe add a lil extra hemianthus to fill out the right foreground but haven't decided. 

IMG_20200802_012453.jpg

Only have 1 pic of the yellow cherry tank, first tank I set up and this is a pic during the first week or so. It looks very different now, will update a new pic of it tonight for my first comparison of plant growth over 4 weeks or so. 

IMG_20200802_025636.jpg

Very impressively ...  delicate.   At least until the PSG grow up.  You've got quite a variety of environments there, make a good case for species tank.  My approach with 3 large (6 foot) tanks is to have large mixed communities, but I'm coming around to the idea of species tanks.

@MFF Hoping to build the substrate depth slowly as plants grow so the gudgeons don't totally destroy it when they chunk up

Species tanks make breeding a lot easier and done right with enough fish look amazing. Big schools and groups, saw a vid of steel blue Apistos, a pic of one is "yeah that's a nice fish", a group of 20 or so swimming together... Wow

Show us what you end up with when you decide :)wish I had room for 6fters but potential of moving means small tanks only so I can move them myself easily. I'll settle down one day and build a fish room or shed lol

I wanted a native biotope for the 4ft at first, then I saw a tank labelled "Rainbow Gobys" and they were in a wooded tank well hidden so from the few lil looks I thought I scored some non-native stiphodon. So then since native went out with purchasing them I got 4 of the biggest boliv Rams I've ever seen and very friendly buggers too. Got the gobys home under the lights and realised they weren't washed out rainbow gobys but actually Mogurnda Gudgeons

I'm in love with the big Rams so they're staying now and the native biotope went out the window already with most of the plants and a piece of mopani wood when I thought I had rainbow stiphodon coming... lol it is what it is and I'm more than happy with some native mini wet pets instead 

Depending on the temperament of the PSGs, (incredibly chill so far, 3 of them hang with the Rams and come to my hand for food with em) I might add a pair of Apistos or another dwarf cichlid or maybe some rainbows, see how they go with small fish first though. I have 6 PSGs, see if a couple pair off or a harem forms or whatever they wanna do then may sell a couple. 

All that being said, I've done the biotope and species only thing before in a few ways. With Discus and Apistos in a 4x2 Amazon tank, Tanganyikan biotopes of a few varieties and sizes, a 6x2 native biotope when I was a kid (which was the original plan with the 4ft).

They all looked good and each had their own lil niches of fish behaviour and interactions, especially the Tanganyikans, but watching my pygmy corys play and hassle the Killis when they go to hassle them, the mac ras darting around everywhere wondering where the food is since there's excitement in the tank (they real cute but real dumb XD). Watching the hastatus corys get in the mix with the CPDs when they get excited, the CPDs looking at the big shrimp just hovering over and around them like "damn you'd be tasty if you were smaller", shrimp watching them "come at be bruh" xD

The PSGs interacting with the Rams, the pugnacious lil paradise fish getting in the mix with Rams and PSGs double and triple their size. All the strange and unique things you see in community setups has always appealed to me so the goal with all these is to breed them whilst in a community type setup so they're great fun to watch whilst not being too difficult to catch/harvest fry and eggs.

All in all I'm just so happy to have fish again and the fact I got lucky and got most of the species I wanted is amazing.

Rainbow Stiphodon looks like a cool fish.  Never heard of it before.  Too bad you didn't get that one, but maybe another time.  Smaller tanks are certainly easier to move - a 6ft tank (just the glass) weighs over 100kg as I'm sure you know.

Here's my tanks at the moment.  Photos are full tank shots taken about 2 weeks ago.

Mixed Malawi, Planted discus/tetra moving to Rainbows, and the central/south american mild-mannered ones.  I'm actually most happy with the third tank at present - nicest group of fish, with some that grow large.  I'm considering changing the Malawi tank to a group of larger Haps, potentially just one or two species.  There's quite a lot of fish I'll have to move on if I decide to go down that road.

The planted tank has 6 different species of rainbows at the moment, but still young, so not obvious.  Eventually I hope to make this a fully rainbow tank, once the last discus die off (shouldn't take too long...) and I find a better home for the tetras.  There could be 12-15 different species of rainbows, depending on what I can find.  Originally I planned to add some PSG later, once the rainbows were at size, but I've seen too many videos on YouTube of PSG eating adult sized rainbows!!

Malawi tank.jpg

Planted tank.jpg

Severum tank.jpg

Before people misunderstand my comment on the discus - I've seen some spectacular discus tanks, very impressive.  But they just don't work for me.  They seem to get sick and drop dead for no reason.  Even though they are Her Ladyship's favourites, I'm switching to something that suits me better, will not require so much work to maintain.

Awesome tanks, I love that planted scape but all 3 look great. Totally understand your discus comment and I second those thoughts. Beautiful fish, rewarding to breed but finicky and delicate. I know not all will agree and some say "oh discus are easy" they're the lucky few. Aside from all the stories heard over the years, this is what made me put discus setups away. Had a nice breeding tank of discus and Apistos, arsehole cousin (housemate at the time) turned off their power board while I was away for a couple days. Warm weather, mature tanks, Apistos and dithers in tank are all fine, all other tanks are fine (mostly Tanganyikan then), discus are an absolute shambles. All sulking in the corner not eating, ended up having to treat for everything over the following couple months just to save them. Whitespot, fungal on gills, fin rot or fungal on fins, who knows what else they had wrong with em that I couldn't see... in the space of 3-4 days without water circulation and stable 28deg... I come back to chaos and many problems. Months trying to save fish after that. Discus since then fell into the same category as saltwater... The *Not until I'm retired* category.

Yes obviously I wanted to flog the f#$k out of my selfish cousin for doing it but family begged me not to hurt him so he got a pass that day. Never again though, cameras on tanks now and anyone messes with my scaly pretties they can go for a lasting swim with em :-P

Here's the first lil tank now, had a lot more hemianthus lawn but I pulled a fair bit out to add to my CPD tank. So it was going to get a clean before pics but things have changed a bit...

This tank was going to be to breed yellow cherries only, now it's gonna be a nano mixed shrimp community. Super slow trickle filter (love it, no water movement the tank just looks peaceful) but I've made a custom canister filter to increase overall volume a bit (tank is only 25L) but still keep the flow rate very low.

The box tank to breed blue cherries, red nose caridina and ninja shrimp that was getting a trio of L10a added, is now also getting a pair of amazing Apistos I stumbled across and could not wait on for fear of missing out. So the blue cherries and red nose are gonna go in the yellow cherry tank which will just be a cherry display and red nose breeder. The ninjas will go in the CPD tank and now all of a sudden with these 3 tanks shit went from finished to unfinished real quick... Damn fish addiction xD but how could I pass those Apistos up... Been a while since I saw a fish and thought instantly, without even seeing a price, "yup I'm buying them"... Apistogramma Agassizii Tefe Red Back :x

IMG_20200808_155442.jpg

IMG_20200808_160315.jpg

Sign in to follow this