WildfyreTV

Stringy faeces?

Hi, i just got my first fish yesterday. While i observe her, i noticed that she has long stringy faeces trailing behind her. I did some research, and as usual the sites contradicted each other. Some said the fish has constipation, and others said it was natural. I believe it might be stress from being in my tank for less than 48 hours, but I am not sure. 

Any ideas?

what colour is it?

white can mean an internal parasite

dark can mean  constipation

its caused usually by not enough fibre  in the diet.

you can feed him /her blanched shelled peas  

or epsom salt bath @Aquaholic99 would probably be the person to ask about the dose and best way

i think its 2 teaspoons to 20 l water but i cant remember at the moment

It's not black, it's kind of transparent. It also seems to fall out pretty easily and won't stay for more than 10 mins. I read on this site (https://cafishvet.com/2020/01/25/white-stringy-poop-in-fish/) that it's probably a 'faecal cast' but i don't really know what this means. I also don't really know what it's been eating as i only got it yesterday. I hope it's not a parasite 0_0.

What is his diet like? The sort of food being fed can have an impact, for instance feeding heaps of mysis and brine shrimp without much fibre can make white/clear poo naturally as Mick said. I wouldn't panic about treating for phantom illnesses as the  added stress may compound any issues or create new ones after just being rehomed from a shop.

I'd take a 3 step approach;

Is it eating? (if no, try salt bath) 

Is it looking happy? (fins up, swimming normally, no signs of lethargy, no excessive rubbing/flashing).

Is it losing weight? 

If no to these questions then just keep an eye on him, give a good mixed diet and wait for clearer symptoms to appear or for the stringy faeces to disappear. If it's "patchy" white and clear, like hollow spots in the faeces tube, then that can signify internal parasites but if it's more or less a uniform colour then it's usually lack of fibre. 

thanks, im not really sure about most of those things because ive only had her three days. im going to the pet store tommorow to get the water tested and to ask further questions