Mitte

My Aquarium build update

Been busy trawling the interwebs during my spare time this week and I think I've finally got myself a setup.

My Aquarium and Cabinetry is going to be built by Dennison Seeto. ( Many thanks to the members who alerted me to Dennison. Would never have known otherwise )

Filter most likely will be a Nautilus 1400, although possibly a Seachem Tidal 110. ( Not 100% which way to go here )

300W Aqua One Quartz heater

And the icing on the cake, Fluval Plant 3.0 Full Spectrum LED programmable light.

I had been looking at buying the Aqua One Brilliance 150, but there seems to be no stock in QLD and I can hardly zip over the border ATM to bring one up from down south.

So that's the stage I'm at right now. 

Now it's time to just wait till it all arrives at my home. 

I'm excited !

Should I post pics ? All I have now is a blank wall LOL !

Cheers......

4 minutes ago, WildfyreTV said:

Nice. What fish are you going to have in it?

Gourami's as the main feature, with community friendly Tetras, a few Corydoras, and Barbs. 

After a bit more tweaking, I think we now have the final specs for the tank.

The tank will be 1500mm long by 765mm high by 450mm.

Cabinet and Pelmet will be Matte Black with a Black vinyl background on tank.

Total height from floor to top of Pelmet will be 1665mm. I hope this will hide lids and lighting from view.

Proposed lighting will be the Fluval Plant 3.0

Due to the increase in volume, I will need to reconsider my filtration. Any suggestions, please post. Would a combination of Aqua1 Nautilus 1400 and Seachem Tidal 110 be OK or overkill ?

Cheers ! 

fish_1f41f.png

no such thing as overkill when it comes to filtration

having 2 gives you the options of things like macropore to polish the water and more biological filtering in the filter system.

as for your light the 3.0 fluval plant are awesome

any new stuff you want i would check out tech den for prices too...and they freight daily...i think its $9 for freight 

I've calculated the volume of water at max would be about 500 litres.

1. What size heater W should I buy ?

2. Should I buy a cannister filter with or without a UV lamp ?

ps, I've now bought the Seachem Tidal 110 for $ 129.00 after lots of googling. 

I guess I'm asking from the experienced fish keepers, to compliment the Tidal 110 HOB filter on a  500 liter tank , which cannister filter model / size would you recommend for optimal filtation ? Assuming the cannister will be sitting on the bottom of the stand/cabinet, the height from floor to top of tank is 1665mm.

1. You'll need at least 500W of heating, I would get 2 heaters, of 250W each.  Heaters are cheap, and this setup is much safer, if one heater breaks.  Either in the "on" or the "off" position.

2. Depends more on the fish you want to keep.  Based on what you've said about the fish, UV is not at all necessary.

3. Any canister filter with at least 1400, 1500 lph flow rate should do, in addition to your HOB.  Note that the canister filters are a much bigger pain in the a*s to clean, but you only need to clean them much less often than HOB.  Cleaning my canister filters is my least favourite aspect of fishkeeping, not for the sludge and muck I find, but the business of opening and closing the canisters without leaks.  I've got both AquaOne and Fluval canister filters, and one brand is just SOOO much easier to maintain...

We all have differing experiences

Personally I would go a higher flow rate on a canister , you want to churn over 5 + times the water volume per hour so i would suggest 2500 lph as a minimum 

A fluval FX5 or FX6 would do the job well, expensive but in my opinion are worth the money, an Aqua One Nautilis  2700 lph  is also good and cheaper than the Fluvals

You could pre filterer the canister if you want to avoid the hassle of cleaning it as often and let the HOB catch the gunk in the water as HOB's are a lot easier to clean, if you go that way I would mod the HOB intake to make it a close to the bottom as you can and  plan your water flow to get all the gunk to that area of the tank 

2 hours ago, Slipshodman said:

We all have differing experiences

Personally I would go a higher flow rate on a canister , you want to churn over 5 + times the water volume per hour so i would suggest 2500 lph as a minimum 

A fluval FX5 or FX6 would do the job well, expensive but in my opinion are worth the money, an Aqua One Nautilis  2700 lph  is also good and cheaper than the Fluvals

You could pre filterer the canister if you want to avoid the hassle of cleaning it as often and let the HOB catch the gunk in the water as HOB's are a lot easier to clean, if you go that way I would mod the HOB intake to make it a close to the bottom as you can and  plan your water flow to get all the gunk to that area of the tank 

im with @Slipshodman

work on 5 times volume per hour

Thankyou very much for all your suggestions.

I looked at the FX models, and yeah, don't think my budget can go that far. Should be able to afford the Nautilus 2700.

Update.

Last night I picked up a AquaOne PlantGlo 4 foot for $100 and a auto feeder for $10 . 

Figured I may as well pick up what I can on the second hand market so I at least have the essentials when I take delivery of my new aquarium and base around December.

Then after I will commence upgrading some items as needed.

Below is a similar aquarium although mine will be shorter.

Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, 1 September 2020_12h02m47s_002_.png

Today I managed to buy a second new Seachem Tidal filter { Tidal 75 } for $ 92.85

I would have preferred to buy a cannister but the cost is not affordable for me at this time. 

Anyway, the combined flow rate of the 110 and 75 is 3,500 lph. I will round that down to 3,000 lph which should equate to 6 x the 500 liter volume of my ( future ) tank.

My plan is to also have different filter media in the 2 filters ( suggestions ? ) which I hope will be benificial to the tank enviroment.

I like the way that these filters will pull water from the bottom as well as skim from the top and also that they will self start if the power is cut and then reconnects while no one is home.

Thoughts ? Am I on the right track here ?

Cheers