Tegan11

Betta display tank wanted

Looking for a betta display barracks to modify. 

Commercial sold ones do not sell to public and my local store cannot help me. 

Anyone have an unwanted setup? Or point me to where I can find one..

Similar to the picture

Thanks

Screenshot_2020-08-10-11-28-39-13.jpg

Welcome to the forum, there was a setup for sale in the dry goods trader section a lil while ago I think but if you can't find one and you're a bit handy, a setup like that is pretty simple to build provided you're patient and it's also extremely modifiable.

For example you could make that tank setup completely out of wood, (take a look in the DIY section here, I remember some old wood tank builds years ago when I was on here so I'm sure there's a couple on there, also Google "building a wooden aquarium" or "plywood aquarium"). Then it's just glass for the front viewing panels, add polystyrene around the outside and underneath of the tank rows to insulate and save on heating in winter, cooling in summer (if you'll need a chiller). So that way your tanks are your rack and vice versa, all one strong build. Customise your plumbing with the build so you can split the system or make it so tanks can be isolated for quarantine, larger tanks down low for breeding with removable dividers which then become growouts, add storage racks, cabinets, draws etc. as you desire. Basically you can make a rack to suit every part of your breeding or display plans, make it to suit a style or decor in your home. They're highly customisable the ole timber tanks and I don't see many anymore but I've wanted to do a rack like I described for a long time now. Basically a nano tank tower for shrimp, sparkling gourami, Apistos, killis, all together in a display yet in their own biotopic environments. One day... One day... :bowl:

10 hours ago, BigPete86 said:

Welcome to the forum, there was a setup for sale in the dry goods trader section a lil while ago I think but if you can't find one and you're a bit handy, a setup like that is pretty simple to build provided you're patient and it's also extremely modifiable.

For example you could make that tank setup completely out of wood, (take a look in the DIY section here, I remember some old wood tank builds years ago when I was on here so I'm sure there's a couple on there, also Google "building a wooden aquarium" or "plywood aquarium"). Then it's just glass for the front viewing panels, add polystyrene around the outside and underneath of the tank rows to insulate and save on heating in winter, cooling in summer (if you'll need a chiller). So that way your tanks are your rack and vice versa, all one strong build. Customise your plumbing with the build so you can split the system or make it so tanks can be isolated for quarantine, larger tanks down low for breeding with removable dividers which then become growouts, add storage racks, cabinets, draws etc. as you desire. Basically you can make a rack to suit every part of your breeding or display plans, make it to suit a style or decor in your home. They're highly customisable the ole timber tanks and I don't see many anymore but I've wanted to do a rack like I described for a long time now. Basically a nano tank tower for shrimp, sparkling gourami, Apistos, killis, all together in a display yet in their own biotopic environments. One day... One day... :bowl:

I'm not that smart in building things. But I really have it set in my mind what I want. 

Only thing I cannot wrap my head around is the plumbing part. I get the exit of water into the tanks but not the entry of water. How does water get up that high? If I am to have a three tier shelf. 

Larger tanks at the bottom and Betta tanks at the top. 

P.s as a newbie I'm finding it hard to navigate around the site. How do I find diy section? Haha

9 minutes ago, Tegan11 said:

I'm not that smart in building things. But I really have it set in my mind what I want. 

Only thing I cannot wrap my head around is the plumbing part. I get the exit of water into the tanks but not the entry of water. How does water get up that high? If I am to have a three tier shelf. 

Larger tanks at the bottom and Betta tanks at the top. 

P.s as a newbie I'm finding it hard to navigate around the site. How do I find diy section? Haha

Have you though about racking that you find at bunnings? Maybe not as easy on the eye but is a cheap alternative. I have not setup a racking system with plumbing before so I wouldnt be the best to ask. But I imagine a pump would get the water to the top tier tanks. There are some knowledgeable people who should be able to help you out with that side of things. 

image.png.06c94f3937210ec8bb7aeadb8cb3e915.png

I attached a screenshot of the section DIY is to help you navigate. Also, there is a search bar up the top right hand side. If your search key words like specific fish species or plumbing it should bring up some helpful content from previous posts to help you on your quest. 

image.thumb.png.dbad115ab7cdbe4d5afe5f54e1a9ce2b.png

Yep Hamish got you covered, a pump to feed water from the sump back up top. Tanks drain into one another (or each directly to the sump if desired) by overflows drilled at equal set heights in each row, add a bulkhead to each then pipe down to the next tank row, then the next, all the way down to the sump. Make sure the sump filtration system is big enough to handle all overflow volume, so if power goes out and the pump stops pumping, the water that flows out of your tanks down to the bulkhead drain levels can be held in the sump rather than on the floor ;)

As for feeding the water back up top, a sump pump with appropriate head height ("head height" just means how far uphill the pump can push water through a pipe), then have it feed the top row by overflow. Eg. pump outlet goes in tank A on the left, which has a hole that feeds into tank B in the middle, which has a hole that feeds into Tank C on the right, which then feeds the tanks below from right to left in the same manner, as many times as you like. As I said before though, systems like this are highly modifiable so you could run tanks in systemic rows from top to bottom instead of left to right, you could use multiple pumps for different flow rates in the same system just split, add a hidden plant refugium to help aid in nitrate removal next to the sump and in doing so, as a byproduct, grow plants to sell. For my nano system I want to get around to, I would run redundancy overflows aswell just because I will have fine mesh to block the flow through points to stop tiny shrimp and fish from wandering, fine mesh may get blocked up if I'm lazy or away for a while, redundancy overflows slightly higher than the standards just to be extra safe. As for yours you can just add egg grate or similar to stop Bettas wandering so blockages won't be as problematic as using 100micron fine stainless steel mesh or fibreglass screen as fine separators.

Good luck with it all and ask for help if needed, plenty of helpful people around here :)

17 minutes ago, BigPete86 said:

Yep Hamish got you covered, a pump to feed water from the sump back up top. Tanks drain into one another (or each directly to the sump if desired) by overflows drilled at equal set heights in each row, add a bulkhead to each then pipe down to the next tank row, then the next, all the way down to the sump. Make sure the sump filtration system is big enough to handle all overflow volume, so if power goes out and the pump stops pumping, the water that flows out of your tanks down to the bulkhead drain levels can be held in the sump rather than on the floor ;)

As for feeding the water back up top, a sump pump with appropriate head height ("head height" just means how far uphill the pump can push water through a pipe), then have it feed the top row by overflow. Eg. pump outlet goes in tank A on the left, which has a hole that feeds into tank B in the middle, which has a hole that feeds into Tank C on the right, which then feeds the tanks below from right to left in the same manner, as many times as you like. As I said before though, systems like this are highly modifiable so you could run tanks in systemic rows from top to bottom instead of left to right, you could use multiple pumps for different flow rates in the same system just split, add a hidden plant refugium to help aid in nitrate removal next to the sump and in doing so, as a byproduct, grow plants to sell. For my nano system I want to get around to, I would run redundancy overflows aswell just because I will have fine mesh to block the flow through points to stop tiny shrimp and fish from wandering, fine mesh may get blocked up if I'm lazy or away for a while, redundancy overflows slightly higher than the standards just to be extra safe. As for yours you can just add egg grate or similar to stop Bettas wandering so blockages won't be as problematic as using 100micron fine stainless steel mesh or fibreglass screen as fine separators.

Good luck with it all and ask for help if needed, plenty of helpful people around here :)

I think I'll have to read this a few times to get it. But thank you guys so much. 

If I want it to just drop down the back of the tank instead of using many pipes on angles. What type of backing do I need for the shelf ?

I believe the commercial ones are malamine but laminated. Does this last very long? And if not what's better to use. 

Will I need an overflow tank or bucket if it's running more water than can handle ? 

Or will the drippers I can adjust be fine to contain it to the shelf itself. 

This type and from this site. Are for commercial buyers. Not public. I emailed them last week. Also said delivery costs were to high to be eligible. Unfortunately grrr

The photo you like is an Aqua One brand. So just contact any produce/aquarium/pet/chain shop that buys in their stock.

Or if you want to make your own, you can look at zebra fish equipment suppliers.

I have one that is slowly getting unused as my bettas get old (and pass away). It's not in the best condition but how much were you looking to spend? The bottom light needs fixing and there is quite a lot of calcium deposits.

*it is the 24 tank aqua one display

Edited by JoshuaC
edit model

Hey,

Can I get a few pictures? 

I was going to buy brand new through the pet store. But I have decided to make my own or buy second hand. 

Little fixing won't hurt me. What sorta price you looking for ?

picture from a month or two back. can take another one when I get home. As you can see I haven't been using the bottom rack as I haven't had the time to fix up the lighting.

picture.jpg

Calcium deposits can be removed can't they ? And where would they be on? What surfaces. Light I wouldn't really care about. 

Maybe just a location of where you are at so I don't get my hopes up lol 

It does its job still though so repairs wouldn't be a problem. 

The system itself is fine? 

Okay, so if I can organise a day to come check it out. In the next couple of weeks. As I don't get to Brissy that often. Would that be okay ?. 

I am currently out In Roma for work and live on the coast near Fraiser island. A couple hours from Brisbane itself. 

How long are you looking on keeping it for the Bettas still alive ? I am in no hurry. But I am very interested. Very very interested. Lol