billfish

Fundolopanchax gardneri breeding

killis arent too popular up in qĺd, why i dont know probably becase of the misconceptions that they only live for 6 to 12 months,which is true for the annuals but not the semi annuals they are either a peat spawner which involves storing the eggs for about 3 months or longer .They are some of the most colourful  but can  be a bit of a drag out match to breed

So heres a breakdown of my breeding of the easier ones to breed which is a mop spawner

So i have a 6 inch mop made out of wool  about100 strand and its floated under a winecork.

You can also place the mop on the bottom of the tank

They dont require a large tank and a trio can be put in about 40 litres, i run 2 m and 4 f in a 2 ft of about 70 l

First photo   a couple of eggs on the mop which i leave in the tank for a week then harvest all the eggs

Screenshot_20200905-182411_Gmail.jpg

once collected i place them in a chinese takeaway container and floated on top of thetank for about10 days, on wet paper towel, the blue is methylene blue which i didnt realise i had ran out of when i started this spawn ,the fry can be seen  in the eggs and when they are eyed up put in water tohatch

Screenshot_20200905-182431_Gmail.jpg

About this stage i move them out of floating container in tank and place them in a plastic tub , filter isnt really necessary but i run a small sponge   just have some java moss or something similar in the tank.

A t 2 months old they start to colour and can sort of distinguish potential males, this fella just starting to show some spots

Screenshot_20200905-182508_Gmail.jpg

I have 2 different strains both classed as aquarium strain as they have no locale identifier which could be  something like this which is a made up locale identifier for this purpose

Axis699 which could reprisent axis river or tributary found 6 month 1999

Crossing these pure strains sort of seems frowned upon by the big breeders as keeping pure strains seems to be a priority

And theres atleast 6 different gardneri strains i can think of and all are different 

I would like to thank @KillieOrCory for helping me get a grip on breeding these guys and another guy that im not sure is on here @justinfish telling me about the harvesting and keeping the eggs on paper towel

Heres a selection of google shots of some of the variations just of gardneri uot there, not all are in aust but they show enough difference to justify keeping strains pure in my opinion....theres also a gold variant as to wheather itsan aquarium strain i am not sure

Screenshot_20200905-200602_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-200614_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-200628_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-200645_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-200651_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-200729_Chrome.jpg

They are very nice fish!  Used to have some, and mine spawned by themselves in the tank, no assistance from me.  It's a "very well established" tank - been running continuously for 15 years or so, various things in it, and I let it get a bit wild - lots of algae, plants, roots etc. encouraged further with Indian Almond leaves.   Survival rate of fry was not great, but some did make it.  Then I tried to put clown killies in there, and the Gardneri were bullying the clowns, so I moved the Gardneri into my big planted tank, fingers crossed, but none survived in there.  The clown killies unfortunately didn't spawn themselves, and I lost the 2 males I had within a couple of months, so end of that story.

Clown killies are really cool fish also, but they are annuals, so I imagine it must be harder to get a breeding colony going.  I wouldn't mind trying the Gardneri again at some point - that tank is my "fry tank", currently housing Ellioti and miscellaneous African cichlid fry.  I've decided after the current batch, I'll tidy up the tank and put something else in it, haven't decided what though.

3 hours ago, tdj5 said:

Keep up the good work and 1 day I mite get some of you 

Hey jase, i have about 15 or so at 2 months now , when i work out thesex ratio i will let u know  

Just wetanother batch of eggs this morning  

Or i could give you a weeks spawn worth of eggs  when i put the mops back in and you can have a go from scratch

I start the fry in a tub of about 10 litres usually cos them breeding guppy type floating tanks thefryescape from quite easily when newly hatched

14 hours ago, MFF said:

They are very nice fish!  Used to have some, and mine spawned by themselves in the tank, no assistance from me.  It's a "very well established" tank - been running continuously for 15 years or so, various things in it, and I let it get a bit wild - lots of algae, plants, roots etc. encouraged further with Indian Almond leaves.   Survival rate of fry was not great, but some did make it.  Then I tried to put clown killies in there, and the Gardneri were bullying the clowns, so I moved the Gardneri into my big planted tank, fingers crossed, but none survived in there.  The clown killies unfortunately didn't spawn themselves, and I lost the 2 males I had within a couple of months, so end of that story.

Clown killies are really cool fish also, but they are annuals, so I imagine it must be harder to get a breeding colony going.  I wouldn't mind trying the Gardneri again at some point - that tank is my "fry tank", currently housing Ellioti and miscellaneous African cichlid fry.  I've decided after the current batch, I'll tidy up the tank and put something else in it, haven't decided what though.

Clown killies breed much in the same way as the gardneri on spawning mops

You can harvest the eggs and place them in wet peat moss  but theyre only about 1mm in diameter and when they hatch you need to feed the fry greenwater and infusoria for the first week or so, vinegareelscan beadded after thatand only at 3 to 4weeks are they able to eat bbs

Indeed billfish, that was the plan.  But I lost both males after 2 months, and then it gets harder! Being annuals, the clown killies have a shorter window in which to achieve the reproduction necessary to establish a colony.

At some point, I'll give this a go again.