stinhambo

Just inherited a large empty tank!

Hi all,

My friend never got round to building his aquarium so after many years of wanting to do this, I agreed to take it of him.

The tank is 120cm L x 44cm D x 60cm H (internal dimensions) so I estimate the water volume to be around 275 litres. I'm looking at the Fluval C4, would this be a good place to start and would I also need an air pump?

These companies really make you hunt for the information! Would be nice if guides were based on tank size so you'd know what you should buy.

Has the tank been empty for an extended period of time? If so, I would recommend getting advice/pay someone to reseal the tank. A nice sized tank to start off with mate! I've only been using sponge filters for the last few years so wont suggest anything in that area. I will wait for some of the other keepers to join the discussion. 

I m not a fan of hang on filters because

if you have fish that jump you will definately come home to a crispy critter on your lounge room foor as you cant put a lid on the tank where the filter hangs or a hood to hide the light 

I would be more inclined to either go a canister of an internal power filter if you must have a power driven filter

As far as silicon goes, make sure you use aquarium safe silicon  bunnings sells it

And dont use any chemicals to clean the old silicone off just a scraper ,. I let tanks sit for 3 days before water testing them just so you know if theres any leaks before putting all the gear in the tank and filling it only to have a slow leak inside the house 

4ft is a little tank, shouldnt be too hard to find a basic filter to run it, so many options these days, i like sumps and always have, easy to drill a hole in it and go from there, but so so so many options

Thanks all. I'm now looking at an Aquis (got to start somewhere) external filter. I'm not a fan of the hang on ones either now I look at them.

Do I need to worry about a heater or a cooler living in FNQ?

1 hour ago, billfish said:

And dont use any chemicals to clean the old silicone off just a scraper ,. I let tanks sit for 3 days before water testing them just so you know if theres any leaks before putting all the gear in the tank and filling it only to have a slow leak inside the house 

A lot of videos show them using acetone(?). I take it this is a no?

But you will need to work out what fish you want as to what filters you need internal filter will need more cleaning than canister-filters that are ezey to clean 

3 minutes ago, tdj5 said:

But you will need to work out what fish you want as to what filters you need internal filter will need more cleaning than canister-filters that are ezey to clean 

Tetras, Blue Acaras, Coolie Loaches, a Betta fish.

Do I need to silicon the inner part of the reinforcement too or just the usual edges?

I'll be shopping for the bits needed to re-silicon the tank this weekend, can't wait!

PS. How long should I do a water test for and is about half full good enough?

So close! I did a decent job for around 90% of the tank but didn't apply enough to one of the bottom corners so I have to start all over again. Oh well, I learned some valuable lessons!

On 09/09/2020 at 2:44 PM, stinhambo said:

I notice that the bottom of the tank (on the inside) has glass plates around the bottom (reinforcement?) - is this common in a fish tank?

IMG20200909142102.jpg

Seal up the inner gaps too. They won't leak but if you  don't make it water tight you will get algae growth and crap left in between the glass and its impossible to clean out. Looks terrible if you keep bare bottom tanks.