Hello fish friends,

I am planning a road trip from Brisbane to Cairns and back in late September /early October to pick up some large fish that are too big for air freight.

Seeking anyone interested in a long road trip that has a drivers licence to share driving. I will be paying for petrol and motels and can provide tall but true fishy tales the whole trip. Only 20 hours each way.

Please message me if interested.

Winston

that would be an awesome trip, memories of driving 20+ hours with fish and foam boxes lining the cars and getting pulled over by the boys in blue who didnt quite believe the fish stories hahaha

photos must be shared

6 hours ago, raycam01_au said:

that would be an awesome trip, memories of driving 20+ hours with fish and foam boxes lining the cars and getting pulled over by the boys in blue who didnt quite believe the fish stories hahaha

photos must be shared

I am not as young or as crazy as I used to be so I'm not looking forward to it.

Unfortunately a straight shot down to Sydney and back isn't possible due to COVID. Cairns is like going to Sydney twice in the same trip.

1 hour ago, QldMick said:

Nice I've driven from SEQ to Townsville with fish, what fish are you purchasing? What are you transporting them in?

Some freshwater fish around 1.2m long (30kg) for future broodstock hopefully. I usually use strong 250L bags (just like goldfish) but the travel time on this trip is too long. So hiring a closed truck and fitting it out with a 2500L pond, bio filters, oxygen tank and pre-arranging strategic emergency water change locations on the way up. Hopefully I won't need to use them. Controlling ammonia will be the key. I will rig up CCTV cameras so I can continously monitor them.

Any QLDAF members near Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton or Bundaberg ?

1 hour ago, aquaholic99 said:

Some freshwater fish around 1.2m long (30kg) for future broodstock hopefully. I usually use strong 250L bags (just like goldfish) but the travel time on this trip is too long. So hiring a closed truck and fitting it out with a 2500L pond, bio filters, oxygen tank and pre-arranging strategic emergency water change locations on the way up. Hopefully I won't need to use them. Controlling ammonia will be the key. I will rig up CCTV cameras so I can continously monitor them.

Any QLDAF members near Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton or Bundaberg ?

Missed out on marks recent trip to brisbane haha. You getting a few of the plats/golds/'pandas' ? Be very cool to breed them all. 

I am in Rockhampton. I get car sick so car trips aren't something I get too excited about :lol:

@aquaholic99

Hey Winston you should check out a mob called floatpac

They have a product called fishpac and its used to transport live fish overseas and  nationally, ive seen it used with fingerlings by memory it keeps up to 500 kglive fish for about 24or 25 hrs uses pressurised oxygen and diffusers in the chest/crate/esky thing

Dont know if you can hire the boxes, gotta be easier than a pool in the back of a truck

Screenshot_20200908-170612_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200908-170620_Chrome.jpg

Edited by billfish

7 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

I am not as young or as crazy as I used to be so I'm not looking forward to it.

Unfortunately a straight shot down to Sydney and back isn't possible due to COVID. Cairns is like going to Sydney twice in the same trip.

used to live in Tolga in the Atherton Tablelands know the place well :) safe travels

15 hours ago, billfish said:

@aquaholic99

Hey Winston you should check out a mob called floatpac

They have a product called fishpac and its used to transport live fish overseas and  nationally, ive seen it used with fingerlings by memory it keeps up to 500 kglive fish for about 24or 25 hrs uses pressurised oxygen and diffusers in the chest/crate/esky thing

Dont know if you can hire the boxes, gotta be easier than a pool in the back of a truck

Screenshot_20200908-170612_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200908-170620_Chrome.jpg

Hi Bill, thanks for the suggestion. I did look at these but they are purchase only and I wasn't able to rent from any of the live seafood exporters I know. Plus they aren't big enough. Cairns Marine who would have better gear also unable to help. I was happy to pay air freight both ways to return their equipment.

I can achieve the same things with a pond with more volume and less cost. I'll bring a back up pond as well.

On 08/09/2020 at 3:57 PM, hamishh34 said:

Missed out on marks recent trip to brisbane haha. You getting a few of the plats/golds/'pandas' ? Be very cool to breed them all. 

I am in Rockhampton. I get car sick so car trips aren't something I get too excited about :lol:

Are these barramundi? Or huge corydoras?

A few fish farms have huge mangrove jacks in their ponds.

Fish & I made the trip back safely.

I used zeolite substrate to remove ammonia, and kept pH at 8 & home made soda lime scrubbers  to prevent dissolved CO2 buildup. Didn't need a water change but had pumps, hoses and rest stop locations planned.

Met some very hospitable fish keepers in Cairns. 

Sorry I didn't have time to meet up Scott. We can try again when I dont have fish.