Hi All. I’m in the Brisbane area. My new 6x2x2 set up is almost ready to go. I would love to stock it with some quality Frontosa with the end result being a nice breeding colony. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi Wayne,

LLoyd's Bulombora are F1's and 7 bar frontosa.    I'm no expert in lake geography but I'm guessing Kigoma and Bulombora are very close to each other!   I was always of the opinion that the Kigoma were the only 7 bar until I seen the Bulombora.  

Cheers,
Jason 

OK just did a google map search.   Bulombora is just to the south of Kigoma in Tanzania.   I'm guessing same fish... different collection point.   

Could be a way of an exporter to sell as a different location.

Hi Wayne,

OK... this is just my 2c and what I've done hundreds and hundreds of times.   Not saying it's the right way or the wrong way (which more people will agree with) but I've never had an issue.

Tanganyikan cichlids have been my passion since I first moved to brisbane back in 1990.    I've always had plenty of tanks and never enough time.   I'd see something that would come up for sale and not have a tank ready and just buy it.   

Was only monday that I did just that.   Got home from work with the fish, filled an empty tank added some prime and simply added the fish.

I'd much rather do this than have to wait for a tank to cycle and miss out on fish that I wanted.

I just make sure that on all tanks I do this on I do more regular water changes for the first 2-4 weeks.   I usually do about a third every 2nd day.     

Can I ask what filtration you have running on your tank?

Best of luck with your tank.  We all have a lot to learn mate.   I've been keeping Tangs for over 30 years and I've still a lot to learn.   

One thing I have learnt is there are no silly questions.   Feel free to post up or even private message me if you have any questions, happy to help in any small way I can.

Cheers,
Jason

We can't answer that unfortunately.   You need to decide on whatever you like the best.  That's the great thing about fish keeping we all have our own opinions and tastes.    My personal favourite is the Ikola Frontosa as I love the lighter blue colour they have in their dorsal fins.   

There was a member on here Jonas Woods that had AMAZING wild caught Burundi and sold plenty of F1 fry on this forum.   He sold them all a few years back and I'm not sure where his colony ended up.  

Finding F1 burundi might be a challenge.   

Cheers,
Jason       

Thanks Jason. I'll definately be asking what seem to be silly questions. I'll be in contact. I believe the smart thing to do is learn from other peoples mistakes and experiences. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Filters. I have an FX6 full of Matrix . I also have a Aqua One 1250 full of matrix with a sunsun HW603 for mechanical pre filtering ready to go.. Might be overkill when the fish are young??

I've never had much luck with the ones I find most attractive to look at.... oops sorry getting off topic there ;)

Filtration - Awesome, enough said.   Overkill is good :)  

You'll have to post up a full tank shot once you get some fish in there.

Thanks for the tag JB. 

I do also have F1 kigoma fry growing out, have some ready now and more in about 4 - 6 weeks. 

Yes Kigoma and bulombora are very similar if not the same. Like a lot of the frontosa variants they are all very similar so i stick with the collection location as that is the norm for the industry. 

Two ways to answer this question....  yes if you can get the same variant which is often not possible at the same time.     

But then... if you are wanting quality F1's then I see no real need to source from multiple locations.

Anything purchased from @lloydashton I wouldn't waste my time sourcing stuff elsewhere ;)

Great idea.    Can't go wrong with that choice!

Be interested in seeing other people's take on your question of buying from multiple locations and what others do.    To be honest I've never bothered but I make sure I know the quality of fish I'm purchasing in the first place.     

50 minutes ago, Wayne Walsh said:

Do you guys reccomend I get fish frontosa from multiple locations? I'm thinking it would be a good idea not to have closely related fish spawning together.

Not generally. Most my fry sold are from multiple females and  1 or 2 males all from wild caught colonies.