Hello, I am a beginner when it comes to aquariums. I only had a betta fish before with a filter and a heater and it lived for 3 years. I am planning on buying a 40 liter tank.I wanted 3 kinds of fish in it.discus,angelfish and something else which maybe one of you could reccomend.In this 40 liter tank,how many fish of each species should I put in as a beginner?

Hi and welcome to the site :welcome:in a 40 ltr tank not a lot 

Discus are a lot off work in a small tank I would only keep them in no smaller than a 4ft tank but that's me I used to have 10 in a 6x2x2 

Absolutely agree - discus are not a reasonable choice for 40L, and angel fish also get much too big for 40L.

Your previous experience with betta might have coloured your perception on how much water a fish needs.  Betta can survive in very tiny amounts of water - but they will also do much better in a  larger tank.

For 40 L, I'd suggest only look at fish that stay small.  Perhaps another betta, and then some tetras or rasboras are nice.  The biggest fish I kept long term in my 80L tank (my smallest) was a dwarf gourami.

Hi Joseph,

Welcome.    I'm a discus keeper.   As a rule of thumb I like to keep 1 discus per 40L of water as a starting point.   Depending on tank size and filtration I then decide if I think I can squeeze more in.

I always say for beginners get the biggest tank your budget allows.  I find the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain.   Any fish keeping is all about the water you provide them.    

Another suggestion would be some dwarf cichlids of the apistogramma family.   A pair would do great in a tank that size.   

Do you mind if I ask what type of filtration the tank has?   Is it one of those boxed tanks where the filter/tank/light is all in one?

Where abouts are you located?   There are some great aquarium stores that dropping into and having a chat to one of the staff to show you what you could keep in that size tank could help you in deciding what sort of fish you like.

Cheers,
Jason