Sign in to follow this  
discusgc

HOB FILTERS

Looking at starting up a tank after not having 1 for several years. Its going to be small display aquarium community planted low tech not sure on volume yet.

I used to use aqua clear HOB filters and never had an issue with them but thinking about using a seachem tidal HOB. 

What are peeps thoughts on these that have used them. Filter basket looks like a good size and seems adaptable to different media types.

I have both these filers running and in my opinion aqua clear for the win.   Has much better flow rate as I believe the over estimate flow on seachem tidal as watching both aquaclear has more turnover.   Much more sponge collector on the aquaclear as well.    In saying that I have the 2 largest sizes of both brands.   Don’t know about the smaller sizes sorry.  

I have had many HOB's over the years, however for me they lead to disappointment. 

I'm now using on all tanks the SunSun HW-603 (as he mechanical/sponge section) then using whatever canister is laying around or cheap at the time (I have SunSun & Biopro, atm.) and packing them with media.

That what works best for me, and I like to ensure their is going to be enough media to create the nitrogen cycle and keep it from ever crashing.

On 12/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, msc0433 said:

I have both these filers running and in my opinion aqua clear for the win.   Has much better flow rate as I believe the over estimate flow on seachem tidal as watching both aquaclear has more turnover.   Much more sponge collector on the aquaclear as well.    In saying that I have the 2 largest sizes of both brands.   Don’t know about the smaller sizes sorry.  

Thanks msc0433 i was always happy with my aqua clears.

On 13/12/2020 at 6:37 AM, aLkAh0LiK said:

I have had many HOB's over the years, however for me they lead to disappointment. 

I'm now using on all tanks the SunSun HW-603 (as he mechanical/sponge section) then using whatever canister is laying around or cheap at the time (I have SunSun & Biopro, atm.) and packing them with media.

That what works best for me, and I like to ensure their is going to be enough media to create the nitrogen cycle and keep it from ever crashing.

Thanks aLkAh0LiK sounds like a bomb proof set up but don't have that much room to be running 2 canisters.

On 13/12/2020 at 4:08 PM, johnbetta said:

not a fan of these filters i am old school i use what german breeders use undergravel filters

Interesting I didnt think these were used anymore. Will research some more.

Sign in to follow this