Has anyone had an issue using the dry form of Fraction-D dechlorinator?

I've just changed the water in two tanks, and I've lost nearly 20 rainbowfish in one tank, and several severums in the second tank are looking very unwell.  It's almost as if the dechlorinator doesn't work at all.  This is the first time I've used the dry form - had the liquid form for a couple of years.  I've checked and double checked the dosage I'm using, and chucked in a double dose for good measure (in the second tank).

Nothing else is different in the way I do the water changes, unless Brisbane water is particularly iffy at the moment???

Hey mate,

Sorry to hear that.    I use Fraction in the liquid form.   To be honest I didn't even realise there was a dry form.   Just googled it though the dry form is soooooo much better value for money than the liquid.   I'll buy some tomorrow and give it a try on the weekend.    Got a couple of tanks I can "test" on.      

I'd be surprised if that was the cause though.   

Cheers,
Jason

Yes, it's about 15% of the cost.  That was the motivation for trying the dry form.  Well - it would be 15% of the cost if it didn't kill my fish!!!

Just done my third and final tank, with double my calculated dose.  That tank all looks fine, but they're Africans - possibly less sensitive?  Don't know, but it is very frustrating.

Well, I talked this over with a mate who is not a fishkeeper, but is a research chemist working in a lab.  Most likely hypothesis we ended on was perhaps "clumping" of the powder so that it did not dissolve correctly, initially.    I thought it had dissolved, but in the absence of a better theory, I'm going with this.

Warning to self:  Shake vigorously before use!!

On a positive note - the severums which I've had for nearly 2 years and are FINALLY getting to a decent size have all come out to eat this morning.  So I'm optimistic they'll pull through.  I won't count my chickens for another couple of days though.

That's a good theory ;)   

When I used to use heaps of the tang buffers and salts I used to always pre-disolve in warm water before adding to tank.      

Great news about the severums hopefully.

I'm off to buy some of the dry form tomorrow and do some water changes.    Will let you know if I notice anything abnormal.

Cheers,
Jason

Very reliable method is to test for free chlorine/chloramine with a pool chlorine tablet. Don't need the kit, just the tablets as any pink colour at all is bad. A packet of ten tablets is about $2.

If you want cheap reliable chlorine neutraliser, I buy sodium thiosulphate crystal. I bought a 20kg bag for $25 that has lasted me 20+ years. Still have heaps left and I have lots of tanks. Some water changes are 25,000 litres weekly. My last water bill was $850 for the quarter.

Any pool store or industrial chemical supply (cheapest). PM me for dosage calculations. 

Ouch!  My tanks (not water changes) are only about 2000 liters total.  I can still blame the water bill on her ladyship's garden!!

My tub of Fraction-D should last me 5 years or more.  Once I get the process sorted of how to mix and dose it.  Hopefully next water change we'll be right.

i have not used the dry one but the liquid forum i have didnt like it so i have been useing prime i find its better it works for me but if friction dry is working for u then thats great to hear

Did some water changes yesterday after purchasing the dry form.   Watched carefully for a few hours afterwards with nothing strange happening.   All happy this morning.

Thanks for the sodium thiosulphate tip @aquaholic99  Comes with the added benefit of treating cyanide poisoning :)

PRIME chemically converts to Sodium thiosulphate via sulphur dioxide anyway. But that's another topic. 

Interestingly you can remove ammonia & nitrite with chlorine shock and then dechlorinate if your water supply quality is poor. 

The best method is to have adequate bio filtration and smaller water change volumes.