Sign in to follow this  
gingerbeer

Red eyed Red swords

I ordered some red eyed red swords from Livefish.  Will be interested to see what they are like.  

For me this fish is a connection back to my father who bred a lyre tail red eyed red back when I was about 5.  He then got rid of all his work to that point and failed to breed them on....  

Nice, there's some great examples online of red eyed red swords. I wonder how the livefish ones are? I have brought from them but only really stock that doesn't vary in quality like some selectively bred fish. I would of brought my own Blood Red Highfin Swordtails from natfish months ago but they were out of stock and couldn't give me a re-stock date. If you check them out they have Blood Red Lyretail Swordtails instead now, I think the color was slightly better in the Highfins but you don't know what these fish have been feed on and any variance between individuals.

So I ordered 6 and when the bag arrive 4 were alive.  2 were DOA.  Livefish have promptly promised a refund in line with their policy.  

I know previously Red eyed reds came in and Pet City got some and lost the lot.  They seem sensitive.  

I have one boy, one who may be bi, and maybe two girls.  One in particular is stressed and shimmying.  Debating giving them a multicure type treatment, as I often think a treatment does more bad than good.  Concentrating on good feeds, good water.  

Th colour is fantastic in these fish as the red really pops due to the albino gene.  

@QldMick I saw the Blood red lyretails on line.  I am not sure of the genetics of these.   Look good.  i need more tanks.  

@johnbetta  If i get fry after I have enough for me I will throw some your and Micks way.  The girls seem more stressed than the boys so at the moment I am doubtful.  If I lose the girls I will be hunting an albino female and try that cross.  

14 hours ago, gingerbeer said:

So I ordered 6 and when the bag arrive 4 were alive.  2 were DOA.  Livefish have promptly promised a refund in line with their policy.  

I know previously Red eyed reds came in and Pet City got some and lost the lot.  They seem sensitive.  

I have one boy, one who may be bi, and maybe two girls.  One in particular is stressed and shimmying.  Debating giving them a multicure type treatment, as I often think a treatment does more bad than good.  Concentrating on good feeds, good water.  

Th colour is fantastic in these fish as the red really pops due to the albino gene.  

@QldMick I saw the Blood red lyretails on line.  I am not sure of the genetics of these.   Look good.  i need more tanks.  

@johnbetta  If i get fry after I have enough for me I will throw some your and Micks way.  The girls seem more stressed than the boys so at the moment I am doubtful.  If I lose the girls I will be hunting an albino female and try that cross.  

Unless outcrossed, albino lines are generally quite weak. Also, most linebred varieties regardless of albinism have a lack of genetic diversity so are a fair bit more delicate. 

Correct me if I am wrong. But when breeding lyretails, dont you need a male that doesnt express the lyretail gene and bred to female lyretails? I was under the impression the males lose any function with their gonopodium? 

On 01/04/2021 at 7:14 PM, gingerbeer said:

Hey Gingerbeer I picked up some albino koi swordtails from Pet City when they were new and they weren't very hardy.

Thanks for the offer of these guys but am going in a similar direction with Albino Dragon Blood Peacocks(as seen in my other posts) I might grow out a big batch of these guys and try and get the reddest males I can, my male is from a different source than my females and they all seem pretty hardy.

Good luck with your breeding, you could specifically ask Natfish for a couple of Lyretail females, mixing your genes up a bit while your incorporating the lyretail gene.

Sign in to follow this