Wat

Newbie and need Help :)

Hello All, I am new here and also new to the Hobby. I have a 6ft fresh water tropical set up. 

II set it up when i had a mate living with me and he was the one who looked after it etc, he has now moved on and I need some advice around care etc. 

He got me to put some Jack Dempsey's, Blue Rams, and DriftWood Catfish, However i am wanting to sell or swap these for more community style of fish. 

Look forward to talking to you.......

Terry 

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-05 at 4.04.00 PM.jpeg

Nice looking tank!

There's a few fish in there that are very much community fish - the clown loaches, the sucker fish and I think I see a few tetras as well.  Don't see any blue rams but they are also community fish.  There is something there that might be a Neon Blue Acara (rather than a ram) and that is also a good community fish, they're very placid.

The only one you mention that are a bit aggro are the Jack Dempsey.  If you want to move them on, you can advertise them on here (after making a few posts to get access to the trader sections), or take them to your LFS as a trade.

As far as what you could put in there - that's up to your personal taste, the tank is big enough for pretty much any community fish you like.

1 hour ago, tdj5 said:

Hi and welcome to the site and to the hobby :welcome:

Thanks, Looking forward to getting know more people in the hobby 

6 hours ago, MFF said:

Nice looking tank!

There's a few fish in there that are very much community fish - the clown loaches, the sucker fish and I think I see a few tetras as well.  Don't see any blue rams but they are also community fish.  There is something there that might be a Neon Blue Acara (rather than a ram) and that is also a good community fish, they're very placid.

The only one you mention that are a bit aggro are the Jack Dempsey.  If you want to move them on, you can advertise them on here (after making a few posts to get access to the trader sections), or take them to your LFS as a trade.

As far as what you could put in there - that's up to your personal taste, the tank is big enough for pretty much any community fish you like.

Thanks MFF, I am wanting to fill it with interesting colourful fish, not a big fan of Guppies...... What would you recommend? 

Just need to get rid of the JD'sand Driftwood 1st

2 hours ago, JB said:

Love the look of that tank!    That would look awesome fully stocked as a community display.   

Thanks JB, 

Any recommendations as to what to put in there to get plenty of color etc....

Any reason why you want to get rid of the driftwood?   I think the look of that tank is perfect.    I'd just be moving the JD's on.

I'd suggest making a visit to Aquarium Central @ 11 Pike St Kunda Park or Aquaholics Online @ 354 Mons Road Forest Glen.    Both are nice and close to Woombye.    Talk to a sales assistant in there, they'll be able to show you all the fish they have in stock that are community fish.    Best thing then is that you can choose your favourites.

I'd make one suggestion though..... a school of cardinal tetras and rummy nose tetras would look awesome with how that tank is setup!

Best of luck.    Keep us updated with photos once you get some new fish.

Cheers,

Jason

Agree with other comments here, why get rid of the driftwood??

I'd also just take a look at what's available in your LFS.  I'm not familiar with the Sunshine Coast, but I'm sure there are some decent outlets up there.  Have a look, see what you like.  In a larger tank like that I'd lean more towards the larger tetras - Buenos Aires, Serpae and similar - rather than cardinals/rummynose.  My preference only of course, but in a 6 ft tank you'd need a LOT of the smaller tetras to make a statement.  I've had 40 rummynose in a planted 6 ft tank, and I rarely saw them en masse.

Personally I like gouramis also.

I tend to agree with the general view.... the scape is good.  The substrate wood and rocks work really well. 

The fish mix is wrong IMO, as others have said.  Jack Dempsey are named after a boxer due to their aggressive nature- great fish but not for a community.  

Recommend  going to Aquarium Central and telling Nigel I sent you.  He will fix you up and give you some good advice.  

Steve