RandomDisco

Catching fast fish (Rummy Nose Tetras) in planted tank

Hi, 

I'm really struggling to catch some Rummy Nose tetras in my tank. It's 70cm deep with lots of plants but even just keeping the nets still for 10mins with food pellets in the Rummy Nose wouldn't even come close. Chasing them is impossible. My tank shape and size don't help, being deep, not a rectangle (so hard to see in the corners), and with only 2 holes in the top (restricting access). Its a community tank and other tetras and endlers are more than happy to go into the nets... just not the Rummy Nose :/ 

I'm going to buy a bigger net and not feed the tank for a day too which might help. Any other thoughts on how I can catch 9 of them would be appreciated (I spent 1 hour and couldn't even get 1)!!!

Cheers, 

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Can I suggest to try at night after the lights have been off for a little while.    Much easier to catch.    This is my fall back method if I can't catch something during the day.

Cheers,
Jason

Great thanks! Will try night first - maybe I'll leave the net in there already so putting it in the top doesn't alert the fish.

Wouldn't the baited nets also catch the other fish in my tank? Probably 40 fish in the tank and only 9 Rummy Nose. 

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

I've had success with 2 nets - one large net that I hold steady, and a smaller net that I use to chase the desired fish into the large net.

Catching fish in a planted tank is always a hassle though.

Draining the tank will help. 

Probably not going to make myself popular but I use an electro fisher to catch very fast fish out of big tanks or with lots of rocks. Some fish bury themselves under gravel.

You can dial up or down the current accordingly. It only stuns them briefly.