Gilera

Filter advice for 4ft tank

Hi. I have a 4ft tank that was previously used for reptiles. I'm in the process of resealing it but will need to buy a filter and heater. I live by the Tweed River and my plan is to try keeping some common estuary species in a saltwater tank. I can replace some water regularly without much hassle. 

I was recommended to get something like an Aqua pro 1200 canister filter and a 300W heater to get me going. Have the inlet and outlet at opposite ends of the tank to get some flow. Can anyone confirm that this is the way to go? Anything else I should be ordering at the same time or other general advice?

personally hate canister filters, we run all our salts on sumps (some basic) some high tech, if you have access to salt water and can replace regularly I would bypass the filter altogether and jut run live rock in the tank with some wavemakers that would suffice perfectly

But if the tank is drilled with an inlet\outlet, the cost of a second hand sump\or buy yourself a container and make a sump is so cost efficient its not funny, if you want any pics or help let me know

My tank is not drilled for a sump. I have an open style tank stand and it will be in our living room so we will see whatever is under it. I might fit some curtains down the track. When you say tegular water change I wonder how frequently I'd have to do this vs having a canister filter with good substrate. Its not a huge job - I have a pump and run hose down to the canal but also not something i'd want to have to do every week. I was looking at an Eheim classic 350. It only has 620LPH flow rate which might be pushing it for approx 250L tank but they are supposed to be quiet and I thought it would be a happy medium if I can augment with some live rock in the tank. I would also appreciate some advice on what substrate might be good for putting in the tank. Originally I was going to just put sand in there until I learned why it is useful to support a colony of bacteria etc in the tank too to help with filtration. For the canister filter I was thinking about using pumice that I can collect from the beach around here. It floats though don't know if that is a problem. 

If you want a  basic filter for a 4fter,  go a aqua one hang on filter,  no holes need drilling, easy to setup and clean  , and moves the water around and pretty cheap.