Gilera

Is this stand adequate?

Hi. I have a stand that came with my tank. The tank was most recently used as a reptile tank. I find it hard to see how it could hold up to 250kg (4 foot tank) when full of water. The corner uprights would be supporting all of the weight. The rest of the stand is just glued together. The base of the tank is 10mm thick glass. I have never owned a fish tank or stand before but I wouldn't think it would be great to have this amount unsupported weight in the middle. Is this sort of stand design normal for a fish tank?

Regardless of stand design, is it a good idea to put some plywood and/or foam under the tank? I have seen some pictures where people have styrofoam sheets under their tanks. 

20210418_134324.jpg

20210418_134331.jpg

20210418_134338.jpg

It will work, but you could also screw 2 -3 horizontal braces in the middle to held even out the load, especially if you are going to put heavy rocks / ornaments in there.

Thanks. I might put some bracing it just for piece of mind. I'm quite surprised it is glued together. Bracing would only be supported by the timber running between the corner uprights which are glued on. I'm wondering whether to either screw these side pieces on at each corner, and/or add two more uprights halfway along so it has 6 legs. 

I wouldn't worry about the extra legs,  just a couple of extra middle braces will be enough and screw in the legs will  make the stand good enough for the tank.

You'll most probably find the pine is glues and nailed together and then putty over the holes. They will be fine nails with a rectangular head. Small patch, slightly different colour to the wood would be the putty. This is a standard open pine stand. Once you go to 6ft+ tanks, then they use 6 legs or more. 10mm Styrofoam sheet under the tank will help the tank. 

Tanks don't bow if made correctly. I've made a 10ft long, 2ft wide stand with just 4 legs. I used 100x50x3mm steel for the long spans. No issues :)

You are spot on mate. I just looked and I had not noticed the putty before. Do you think it is necessary to put another cross piece in the middle or just fiine to use it as is?

On 25/04/2021 at 4:39 PM, Gilera said:

You are spot on mate. I just looked and I had not noticed the putty before. Do you think it is necessary to put another cross piece in the middle or just fiine to use it as is?

Sorry for the late reply. Id just get a sheet of 10mm foam (most local fish shops sell it) and place it on the stand. Look over the stand to makesure its sturdy, no rotten wood (feet often can start to deteriorate), no loose joints, etc. If the stand is ok then I'd use it :)

While the stand is probably strong enough, it would only take a few minutes to add some 10G screws which are much stronger than nails. 

If you want to keep it neat, drill a 6mm or 8mm hole and hammer in some wooden dowel that can be cut off flush and sanded even. 

Good idea. I might pre-drill and put a couple of bugle head screws in each corner offset to the nails just for piece of mind.