QldMick

Am now a saltwater fish keeper!

On 17/07/2021 at 5:50 PM, QldMick said:

Will I really need a chiller once summer hits? There's a $700 chiller available for $400, so wondering if I should grab it now.

Thanks

Mick

we have 4 of them around the place and yes indeed you should have them, your fish will get through Summer, but corals will not fare so well

good investment

On 04/07/2021 at 10:37 PM, QldMick said:

Have a bit of a prob. Was just checking out the sump/fuge tonight since I haven't had much of a look since I started just running the light at night.

Anyway I found these guys, and managed to pull out 3, small, medium, large ones.

What the hell are they and is it a big problem?

IMG_20210704_222445 - Copy.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Bristle worms, really good clean up crew but have to monitor them, we have them in our tanks and drop some traps in everynow and then

Auto top up system installed today,

Should keep protein skimmer working properly instead of going from bubbles too low and hence not doing its job, to topping up the sump and bubbles overflowing. Will definitely help with maintaining a constant salinity as well.

The good news is I haven't lost a fish but have lost some corals, and inverts. What do you people think about the frogspawn coral to the right of center? Its been really retracted for weeks, I thought they were as easy as hammers, and my hammer frag is doing well. Should I try it lower in the tank? I only have LEDS so wasn't thinking the light was too strong for it. Any suggestions?

IMG_20210814_141127_-_Copy.jpg

IMG_20210814_141156_-_Copy.jpg

IMG_20210814_141201.jpg

OK so I wasn't using my brain the other day and after siphoning out a fair amount of water out the bottom of the sump and pulling apart the return pump to clean, I topped up the tank with freshwater, then added the salt to the right level after. My hammer that was going so well didn't like it. I will always make up the salt water before adding to the tank from now on.

I did a round of tests tonight and I'm so glad I did, the temp was only 20 and checked to find out the heater plug had come away from the socket. I have no idea how long it had been unplugged.

So other than the temp the test showed the same problem as last time, high phosphates. I have replaced the phosphate removing material. I've noticed the previous owner had phosphate troubles as well, with 0.4 for his last two readings.

The test results are of follows,

Temp - 20oC

Carbonate hardness - 7

pH - 8

Ammonium - 0.05

Nitrite - <0.1

Copper - <0.2

Nitrate - 5

Phosphate - 0.6

Calcium - 540

Magnesium - 1260

Salinity - 1.025

it is all ways wiser to make the salt water up first mate that way u can be a 110 % sure its perfect for your fish and corals and the other things living in your tank how is your tank going now and how are u and how are things for u

32 minutes ago, johnbetta said:

it is all ways wiser to make the salt water up first mate that way u can be a 110 % sure its perfect for your fish and corals and the other things living in your tank how is your tank going now and how are u and how are things for u

Thanks john, 

I'm getting there with this tank. Just managed to find some yellow coral/clown gobies today so have 2 ordered, also found a nice anemone that I'm looking at buying. Have a few things going on with my other tanks too, so that's cool as well.

Hope things are alright your way John.

That's not good john, my clown loaches are always in the bristlenose breeding logs, I've had like 1 batch make it in years.

I've heard adding more males for competition can kick them into breeding again.

22 hours ago, johnbetta said:

good to hear mate how are the rest of your fish going and how are u

Hey mate all good at the moment, I picked up a hammer and torch coral the other day, their looking kinda neat.

I've been mentioning to ask you to show us some of your tanks. All I remember is Endlers and Bristlenose would love to see what you got.

19 hours ago, johnbetta said:
  • thats good mate i have endlers and big eared guppies two blood lines and the bn and oscar and gold fish and 2 sharks its hard for me to upload pics

Nice I forgot about the Oscars.

In relation to pics, mine are usually to big to load, I make a copy of the pic, right click to edit, then crop the pic then save and the pic will be a smaller file. Then I just drag to where it says and all good.

I'm always checking out the oscars and goldies at the pet shop but I know I don't have space for them.

I'm not into endlers but I like the big ear guppies, they look cool from above too.

I was at exotic fish connections the other day and liked the albino koi guppies they had in.

And the new coral, picked up from pet city on the weekend.

This guy was fluro blue and green at the shop, this doesn't show up with both the white and blue light on which I have for the majority of the day, looks super cool between 7-9 at night with only the blue light on.

IMG_20210908_125512 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20210908_125518 - Copy.jpg

Didn't glue these guys to the liverock, might see how they go first, or maybe it would be handy to be able to move them around.

2 hours ago, JB said:

Top one for me Mick ;)  Out of curiosity how much would one of these sell for?

Top one $850 at 5.5-6"

Bottom one $625 at 4-4.5"

But these guys were in the US

I don't think their really that expensive for what they are, you just have to have the spare cash.

On 10/09/2021 at 3:36 PM, johnbetta said:

cool and thanks i will be getting from kev once my tank is cycled albino white dumbo big eared guppies but have to wait . your fish and corals look amazing i am now up to 20 tanks 

20 tanks is awesome, I'm down to 4.