Hi All, my name is John. Thanks for accepting me on the forum. I have been keeping tropical fish on and off for the last 50 years after winning a few guppies at a fete when I was at primary school. We have recently returned to our unit at Woody Point in the Moreton Bay area of Queensland. I have begun to resurrect my 6" x 2" x 2" tank. The tank is planted and the primary focus is going to be about 15 Discus, these beautiful fish will be accompanied by Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Sterbai Corys, Peppermint Bristlenose and Clown Loaches. I'm very excited to get my tank up and going and look forward to being a member of the forum. I am currently struggling with Nitrites in the water supplied by Unity Water, details are given in a separate post in hopefully the correct area of the forum.

49 minutes ago, JB said:

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums.  Any plans on where you are going to purchase your discus from?

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason, I'm looking around, I'm wanting fish in the 5-7cm range, I prefer to buy small and watch my fish grow. I got 3 Blue Angels from BudH, Holistic Discus on FB, last Sunday, great quality. Would even go down to Gold Coast, saw some stunning fish down there earlier this year. Any suggestions? Cheers John

im an old redcliffe boy, used to keep Discus

we are up past Gympie now and Only keep salty fish

when we had discus up here, we used to age the water in IBC's out the back of the house that worked well

heaps of good places to get Discus from, both shop front and online

enjoy

Hi John,

I'm taking @raycam01_au lead and not name dropping any on here.   I'm not really sure on the etiquette around recommendations that aren't forum sponsors.   I've used both online and stores around the SEQ area.

@The Tech Den always has an assortment of 5cm and 8cm discus in stock and nice and close to Woody Point ;)  

I've sent you a private message in more detail :)

Cheers,
Jason

@raycam01_au  8O this is me eagerly awaiting your list.  

My current pet hate is people not saying where their discus are sourced from.   For example a lot of places seem to say malaysian breeders.  Why can't they just name the supplier.   Or is there some company at the top of the food chain that blocks these smaller outlets?

Thanks for all the messages received from Jason, John, Ray and Currimundi, I feel most welcome. As regards where to buy from, I've received some names and am following up, I guess the secret is to stay with trustworthy suppliers. The biggest challenge may be to find suppliers with the correct size fish. It appears that many suppliers have 8cm+ fish because that is where the better money is ie if they sell a 5cm fish for say $xx they can rather feed it up a bit until they have an 8cm fish where they can sell it for $xxx, or about twice the price. Anyway I have a few good leads that I will follow over the next few weeks and should be able to stock my tank bit by bit, preferably with as few suppliers as possible.

In line with the change of rules due to COVID I have no problems with listing options.  

Only active sponsors are to post prices - I guess that Is Techden.  

Growing discus is always an additionally challenge that is why the bigger tend to be quite a few more $$$$$.  Most tend to say that to grow discus you should do a discus only glass bottom.      I find this a little boring.  

Steve

22 minutes ago, gingerbeer said:

In line with the change of rules due to COVID I have no problems with listing options.  

Only active sponsors are to post prices - I guess that Is Techden.  

Growing discus is always an additionally challenge that is why the bigger tend to be quite a few more $$$$$.  Most tend to say that to grow discus you should do a discus only glass bottom.      I find this a little boring.  

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for putting me right on price posting, I've edited my post, sorry, hope there is no offence. 

Yes. my tank, 6x2x2 is the showpiece in our lounge, I'm also having Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Sterbai Corys, Peppermint Bristlenose and Clown Loaches in the tank. I agree BB tanks work better for discus but I love the planted tank appearance.

Cheers John

didn’t notice the pricing, so zero offence.   

I have Sidthemonkey locaches rather than clowns - don’t get as big.  I also like whiptails over bristle nose as much nicer and not poo machines.  

1 hour ago, gingerbeer said:

I have Sidthemonkey locaches rather than clowns - don’t get as big.  I also like whiptails over bristle nose as much nicer and not poo machines.  

I'm assuming that Sidthemonkey loaches are Dwarf Chain Loaches? I've seen reports that these are too boisterous to be kept with Discus, is this not true and if so in my 6x2x2 how many would you recommend? As regards Peppermint Bristlenose vs whiptails do Peppermint adults tend to lose their beauty appeal as they age, I've heard they do although this may be mitigated by my dark substrate, my wife loves Peppermints I'd have a tough time talking her out of these, that is the only species she has chosen!

Peppermints definitely lose their white spots/stripes after about a year.  I used to have these, sold them last year.  The little ones are adorable, but the adults are almost indistinguishable from common bristle nose.  Unless you're breeding them and getting a constant stream of babies, your wife will be disappointed.

Agree with @MFF adult peppermints are not the prettiest things.   However..... i loved the contrast of the juvenile colours on white sand base discus tanks.   Over the years they have made me a nice little profit by buying juveniles cheap, growing them until they lost their spots.... selling them at a higher rate (because the are much bigger) and then using that money to buy more.   I think from memory I started with 6 and over a period of probably 8 years or so I turned those 6 into a breeding colony of about 30 plus heaps of $$$$ on the side selling hundreds of babies.   I then had an endless supply of little guys to put back into the big display.    Circle of life :) 

Cheers,
Jason