Sign in to follow this  

Sorry, if this question has been asked before, I'm sure it has, but I can't find an answer through the search. I wish to determine at what point I should perform a water change in my predominantly discus 6x2x2 tank. I'm running my tank with 15 x 5-7cm discus plus 6 x sterbai corydoras and 3 x L333 plecos, my tank is heavily planted. I performed a 50% water change 3 days ago and tested the water a few hours later, nitrates read 5.00ppm. Now three days later nitrates have not changed and continue at 5.00ppm, possibly a bit lower, if that is possible. Ammonia and nitrites are, of course 0.00ppm.There is not a heavy build up of fish poop on the substrate. I have been feeding regularly to stimulate growth. I am certainly not against water changing, I have a pretty efficient regime that takes about 30-45 minutes and being retired have no problems performing it. However I certainly don't want to do a water change for the sake of doing a water change. Please could I have some advice. Thanks John

Thanks for the guidance, I visited a very knowledgeable member of this forum today and was advised that with such low nitrate levels I could safely perform 2 x +/-10% water changes per week. He advised that when my discus fish get larger I would have to ramp the %age up. That advice sounds good to me, a 10% water change is easily manageable.

15 hours ago, johnbetta said:

10 % water changes are good  but 15 % twice a week would be better for your fish are u useing rain water or tap water or mixed

I'm using tap water. Our tap water on the Redcliffe Peninsular comes out at about 21°C and unfortunately currently contains about 20.00ppm nitrites, this varies depending upon where they source water from. I treat my entire tank with prime when doing a WC which binds the nitrites and within 6 hours the nitrites have been removed by the filter bacteria and read 0.00ppm. My tank temperature is 28°C so not sure if I should be heating the new water to get it to 28°C or if 15% WC at 21°C would render that necessary? I'm doing a WC later today, 5 days have passed since my last WC and nitrates currently read 5.00ppm so nitrates seem to be increasing very slowly. Update; completed a 15% WC, directly from tap, dosed with prime and temperature of tank moved from 28°C to 27°C, all is well.

Sign in to follow this