Hey guys, looking for help, I want to get a custom tank made. But also want to get a sump made up.(never used a sump filter before)

So my question is, which type of sump filter is best. And how do I work out how big my sump should be for the tank?

Thank you 

Hi @Whatsinthetank,

A couple of good questions.    Had to google Baringa but I know where you are now :)

Firstly can you give us a rough idea of the size of the custom made tank you are thinking? 

As a starting point I work on roughly 25% of the main tank size as sump volume (this varies depending on the load of fish I'm thinking about putting in the tank).     Sump pumps I like to turn over between 4-6 times the water volume per hour (including the additional volume of water in the sump!).  

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jason, I'm looking at a 6ft or 8ft tank.

And I know there different kind of sumps?? Like a trickle tower thing or one that over flows different sections? Or like flow through maze set up? Do these matters or just do the same job? 

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum :welcome: I would go for a 4ft sump but that depends on what plumbing you are going to go with  I have a 3ft marine tank with a 2.5ft sump if you want to come and have a look let me know I'm happy for you to come and have a look I'm in birtinya near the hospital