Hey guys pretty new to fishkeeping so wanted to get your opinion on the fish I've chosen after talking to a few shops and members.  It's a 4x2x2 and I've currently got a jack dempsey, tiger oscar, green terror and 4 bristlenose (all fish are juvenile maybe 2inch at most) 

Do these fish seem OK for that size tank for now? 

Thanks in advance 

oscars grow at a crazy rate, so eventually them bristlenose will fit in its mouth, and oscars will try and eat anything that will fit in its mouth, and as the bristlenose have nasty spines the chances are it will get lodged in its throat, which in turn ,COULD kill both of them, im not sure how fast jd s and green terrors grow, oscars can be pretty laid back withcother tank mates til the day something flicks a switch then chaos takes over

make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the fish,both at this stage and as they grow

Thanks for the info mate. I never actually planned on getting an oscar but was told at the shop it'll be a good match for the j.d. I've got plenty of hiding spaces and blocked the line of sight to both ends of the tank. I'll keep an eye out though to see if they start getting harassed. 

On 08/09/2021 at 3:17 PM, Aussie_JD said:

Hey guys pretty new to fishkeeping so wanted to get your opinion on the fish I've chosen after talking to a few shops and members.  It's a 4x2x2 and I've currently got a jack dempsey, tiger oscar, green terror and 4 bristlenose (all fish are juvenile maybe 2inch at most) 

Do these fish seem OK for that size tank for now? 

Thanks in advance 

Hi @Aussie_JDWho ever told you this combination of fish would work in any type of setup should take a good look at them selves. They are all predators and will eventually destroy each other except the Bn's which may or may not survive. Good luck with you setup.

On 10/09/2021 at 7:01 PM, Aussie_JD said:

Thanks guys, do the Gold spot continue to sick up waste and algae like the bristlenose do? I've been told some stop doing it at a certain age.

The Goldspot I had last was still keeping the glass free of algae at 15cm, I have had 30cm ones but they were too far back to remember how they went with algae.

They definetly don't eat waste, just algae and food, some people say uneaten food but the will need to be purposely feed as well.

Found some pics, first 2 are the one I had recently and 1 huge one from years ago.

P1010483.JPG

IMG_20190618_154140 - Copy.jpg

P2120451 - Copy.JPG

P2120452_-_Copy.JPG

On 10/09/2021 at 9:43 PM, Heintz.G said:

Hi @Aussie_JDWho ever told you this combination of fish would work in any type of setup should take a good look at them selves. They are all predators and will eventually destroy each other except the Bn's which may or may not survive. Good luck with you setup.

Thanks for your honest input mate. As I said I'm pretty new to it but starting to realise shops aren't always as knowledgeable as one would hope. 

From what people have said on a couple posts now the oscar seems to be the biggest potential problem?  Would the bristlenose be more likely to survive the others?

30 minutes ago, QldMick said:

The Goldspot I had last was still keeping the glass free of algae at 15cm, I have had 30cm ones but they were too far back to remember how they went with algae.

They definetly don't eat waste, just algae and food, some people say uneaten food but the will need to be purposely feed as well.

Found some pics, first 2 are the one I had recently and 1 huge one from years ago.

P1010483.JPG

IMG_20190618_154140 - Copy.jpg

P2120451 - Copy.JPG

P2120452_-_Copy.JPG

Thanks for that mate, they look awesome! I do also have the suitable hikari sinking pellets for the bristlenose and will look at veggies as well. I do like the idea of them cleaning up some of the algae and mess in the tank though.

Hey guys just wanted to put an update on  here. Heintz.g was spot on, th j.d actually was the one to snap and relentlessly chased the others. I separated the j.d when I could after work buy It was too late and the g.t and oscar after showing signs of heavy breathing and stress didn't make it. 

This time I'm doing more reading od my own through qldaf and monster fish keepers as well to decide on a more suitable tank stocking and get rid of the j.d as I'm not looking to have just one lone fish.

I'll be making a separate post to hopefully get some good information ontop of what I've learned on this post.

Thanks!