aLkAh0LiK

WANT TO WIN MEMBER OF THE WEEK?

Lets all share the love for the members still on the forum!

I am looking forward to when this place reaches it glory days! Like how it was 10 years ago! 

This needs to become the place where hobbyists support hobbyists! stop allowing the stores to buy all of our fish, and offer better prices for those in the community who buy from us for next to nothing and take advantage of both the hobbyist breeder and those wishing to purchase!  

Anyhow, sending you all fishy love!

On 12/09/2021 at 9:06 AM, aLkAh0LiK said:

Lets all share the love for the members still on the forum!

I am looking forward to when this place reaches it glory days! Like how it was 10 years ago! 

This needs to become the place where hobbyists support hobbyists! stop allowing the stores to buy all of our fish, and offer better prices for those in the community who buy from us for next to nothing and take advantage of both the hobbyist breeder and those wishing to purchase!  

Anyhow, sending you all fishy love!

Being somewhat part of the younger generation. I am 27 now :/ I can say we will struggle with poaching and retaining members from other sites. Instagram/fb etc make the sharing and access to information much simpler. Even google will be able to address most of your concerns at a much faster speed than posting on a forum for the first time and receiving 3 welcome to the forum messages over the first day or two until someone replies with something meaningful. 

I have been using this forum for many years. I am also not very active in terms of posting. But I do miss the days of using the chat and talking to quite a few of the members regularly. Its sad to see the fall but I cant see it ever going back to its glory days. I took a break from the site for a year or so a while back and when I came back on it was the same few members posting as it was the last time I was here. It was nice seeing familiar names but sad there wasnt really anything new. New members sign up but they dont seem to hang around. 

I agree with you about supporting hobbyists. I miss the days I traded for fish. Visited fishrooms and finally have people I could talk endlessly about fish with. I met a lot of wonderful people but this stopped being a place to sell for some reason. I believe that is the key to generating traffic back. When googling 'bristlesnose for sale' or 'oscars for sale australia' etc etc only gumtree ads and stores pop up. If we had more livestock ads then people would start finding this site more and seeing some extra value in joining. With gumtree no longer being free and fb banning animal sales, this surely gives qldaf a little advantage in taking back its rightful market share :first::first:

8 hours ago, hamishh34 said:

Being somewhat part of the younger generation. I am 27 now :/ I can say we will struggle with poaching and retaining members from other sites. Instagram/fb etc make the sharing and access to information much simpler. Even google will be able to address most of your concerns at a much faster speed than posting on a forum for the first time and receiving 3 welcome to the forum messages over the first day or two until someone replies with something meaningful. 

I have been using this forum for many years. I am also not very active in terms of posting. But I do miss the days of using the chat and talking to quite a few of the members regularly. Its sad to see the fall but I cant see it ever going back to its glory days. I took a break from the site for a year or so a while back and when I came back on it was the same few members posting as it was the last time I was here. It was nice seeing familiar names but sad there wasnt really anything new. New members sign up but they dont seem to hang around. 

I agree with you about supporting hobbyists. I miss the days I traded for fish. Visited fishrooms and finally have people I could talk endlessly about fish with. I met a lot of wonderful people but this stopped being a place to sell for some reason. I believe that is the key to generating traffic back. When googling 'bristlesnose for sale' or 'oscars for sale australia' etc etc only gumtree ads and stores pop up. If we had more livestock ads then people would start finding this site more and seeing some extra value in joining. With gumtree no longer being free and fb banning animal sales, this surely gives qldaf a little advantage in taking back its rightful market share :first::first:

well said mate

Winning the internet is about understanding algorithms and having an effective SEO strategy with content of value. There is a lot of knowledge on here with current members and previous posts of old members and discussions. If I have time, I will attempt to drive some traffic via Australian fish keeping subreddits etc. But I remember 5-10 years ago going through the classifieds daily to see what was on offer. So when we all have stuff we are looking to trade and move on, we should take the time to whack an ad up here. Its easy enough for me to talk about how to help, but if I dont contribute to the solution, its just words. Its just a shame I got out of fish a few years ago. But once spring is here I should have a variety of aquatic plants to offload. 

Yes @Hamishh34 I agree mate!
Every time I speak with someone about fish I always recommend this forum! & I agree, its as easy as copy & paste with the info, into the category and slap up the images! 

We are all in this together!

Some interesting posts here.  

At times I think QLDAF got too big and we had too much drama.  I am not a fan of drama.  I like a good laugh and to gasbag about fish.  

I think we can get too a good place but it must be driven by members.  Members drive content and interesting discussion.  

We also need store involvement.  Good stores are the lifeblood of the industry.  I have bumped a post to remind all that due to COVID we are encouraging all stores to post there stock.  I was in a store today and they have some fish I know people want, and did have stuff I want but did not know till too late.  If you are talking to a store encourage them to post here.  

I am thinking of starting a QLD alliance.  Facebook groups are struggling due to Facebook rules.  Maybe we should strike an alliance.  I will do a pinned post and do links to facebook pages who link to here to encourage people to be able to sell.  

Value thoughts.  

Steve

There are two groups of forum users. One in search of knowledge - networking - contacts- etc and the other chasing fish (preferable rare, high quality, cheap or rare & cheap & high quality). Sometimes a member fits into one group, sometimes the same member belongs to both groups. 

My 2.2 cents is to keep engaged a core of very experienced knowledgeable fish keepers which requires keeping the beginner repetitive questions to the beginner section(s). You can have a respectful educational cohort without being elitist. 

I would discourage the sales section but encourage fish swaps. 

Unfortunately it's too risky having strangers visit fish rooms, even virtual tours (for the serious fish room) but it's possible to organise social events & fish collection trips.

The amount of administration and forward planning required to run a successful forum is similar to a social club. (Speaking from experience). 

Definitely do support local fish shops! Good aquarium stores are the lifeblood of the ornamental fish industry but forum & fish club members are the worst type of customer for them. 

We think we know a lot more about fish, we are picky with high expectations and want the biggest discounts while under cutting retail prices. 

It's no wonder aquarium stores have stopped sponsorship or offering forum discounts.

(Speaking from experience). 

I agree @gingerbeer it did get very "bitchy" for awhile. Great idea about the alliance too, could definitely draw some people back, or even new members. 

@aquaholic99 I am keen for some fish collection trips and things like that! I found a secret spot that has Crimson Spotted Rainbows :-) It was fun to collect and release them to show the grandkids!

it would be amazing if we could all get along and help each other we all have alot to offer each other with fish and info and every thing that goes with fish keepping the more we help each other the forum will be the best of the best its amazing as it is but we should all strive to make it better bigger and better that will take each and every one on here to do that

On 22/09/2021 at 8:12 PM, aquaholic99 said:

There are two groups of forum users. One in search of knowledge - networking - contacts- etc and the other chasing fish (preferable rare, high quality, cheap or rare & cheap & high quality). Sometimes a member fits into one group, sometimes the same member belongs to both groups. 

My 2.2 cents is to keep engaged a core of very experienced knowledgeable fish keepers which requires keeping the beginner repetitive questions to the beginner section(s). You can have a respectful educational cohort without being elitist. 

I would discourage the sales section but encourage fish swaps. 

Unfortunately it's too risky having strangers visit fish rooms, even virtual tours (for the serious fish room) but it's possible to organise social events & fish collection trips.

The amount of administration and forward planning required to run a successful forum is similar to a social club. (Speaking from experience). 

How are fish swaps over selling a practical way forward? If I have two tanks and I have 2 breeding pairs of large American cichlids, I am not at all interested in swapping for mbuna, goldfish, guppys or any other fish. I am looking to move on fry. Most people dont have fish rooms nor the ability to house a multitude of species requiring different parameters. Both selling and trading is an integral part of the hobby, whether people like it or not.

Agree with fish rooms. Unless familiar with someone I wouldn't really want strangers coming over. It is sad as I met a few people that welcomed me inside their home to show me their pride and joys. I spent hours talking about fish with strangers in their home like we had known each other forever and learnt a great deal. As a younger person then, it meant more to me than those kind people can ever know. 

There is a lot of high quality fish making it into the country in recent years. Some fish 10 years ago I could only dream about keeping. The fish hobby has continued to grow, just the forums as a whole are struggling to keep up against social media. Even with fb banning sales, many still haven't recovered. 

On 23/09/2021 at 9:50 AM, Keepin' Aquatics said:

I agree @gingerbeer it did get very "bitchy" for awhile. Great idea about the alliance too, could definitely draw some people back, or even new members. 

@aquaholic99 I am keen for some fish collection trips and things like that! I found a secret spot that has Crimson Spotted Rainbows :-) It was fun to collect and release them to show the grandkids!

secret spot for crimsons? theyre everywhere on the northside....now if you had a secret spot for Rhads...i might wanna be your srcomd best friend