Sign in to follow this  
Keepin' Aquatics

Summer Tubbing

Guppies are a nice and easy start. I feel like the sun helps their colours pop as well! Do you have any other plans other than the guppies over Summer? What do you do with your excess? 

No real plans mate. I have a 5 foot by 2 foot pond that is stocked with swordtails, guppies, snails and cherry shrimp all year round. All are eating by my critically endangered manning river turtles so its nothing fancy, just there to keep them healthy and breeding year round. Winter does slow things down considerably. 

I have set up a smaller outside one just to grow 6 species of aquatic plant as they don't last too long in my tanks. So I interchange or propagate my own to keep a steady supply.

I  tub my blue-eyes.  Still too cold down south but now is a good time to load tubs with a shovel full of composted horse/cow poo and seed with some green water and let the planktonic grooblies grow for a couple of months before adding fish.  Full bellies make for more babies.

17 hours ago, Grubs said:

I  tub my blue-eyes.  Still too cold down south but now is a good time to load tubs with a shovel full of composted horse/cow poo and seed with some green water and let the planktonic grooblies grow for a couple of months before adding fish.  Full bellies make for more babies.

It never crossed my mind to see with composted manure. Thats a great idea. Glad to see you're still working with some of our cracking natives. 

Guppies and mollies are pretty cool in tubs, nice and colorful. 

I have a 1000L container that I'll be raising a few africans over summer, just waiting for the min temps to warm up.

Also spawned and raised some albino longfin zebra danios outdoors with green water, of course a few goldies too.

Would love to do rainbows one day as well.

I keep a few blue barrels filled with protruding vertical PVC pipe offcuts to help out the native frogs. Frog friendly fish like white clouds or celestial danios co-habit to make sure no mossies get through. 

Pacific blue eyes do best in brackish water. So that information is going to help if your collecting from wild.

I agree that fish kept outdoors have the best colour but a good work around to those of you with fish rooms on central filters is to grow green water in outdoor tanks and flood feed through once a week. Adult fish as well as fry appreciate this. I started with 3 x IBC's raised high on pallet racks but now use 3 x 2500L aquaculture tubs at ground level. 3 tanks on staggered rotation, harvesting one tank each week. No manure, I use soluble fertiliser high in nitrogen that is consumed by harvest time. 

13 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

I keep a few blue barrels filled with protruding vertical PVC pipe offcuts to help out the native frogs. Frog friendly fish like white clouds or celestial danios co-habit to make sure no mossies get through. 

Pacific blue eyes do best in brackish water. So that information is going to help if your collecting from wild.

I agree that fish kept outdoors have the best colour but a good work around to those of you with fish rooms on central filters is to grow green water in outdoor tanks and flood feed through once a week. Adult fish as well as fry appreciate this. I started with 3 x IBC's raised high on pallet racks but now use 3 x 2500L aquaculture tubs at ground level. 3 tanks on staggered rotation, harvesting one tank each week. No manure, I use soluble fertiliser high in nitrogen that is consumed by harvest time. 

Heck yeah mate! That sounds like a fish making factory! haha!

Sign in to follow this