Jump to content
Slipshodman

Snake Identification help

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

So I will start with sorry, not sure where else to put this without it going into the "Off Topic" section , which is actually probably where it should be but I don't think many would see it 

Anyway, so I know some of our members are herping fans and I am stuck with identifying this little, well not so little beauty that was in our yard yesterday 

He/She was 6 foot or so long (maybe 7) , I immediately thought a python but google couldn't help me find any python with that colouring or markings, but I can find King Browns in the same colour.

So I was hoping if any of our members could help me out with which may be correct, or if I am off the mark entirely  

Oh, and I live lower Blue Mountains NSW , King B's aren't really supposed to be around here I don't think 

Thanks in advance for your help 

 

And GingerB, if you need to move this, sorry, feel free 

 

Happy new year all 

 

image.thumb.png.d0d02e42391513c0931a2cb0e192b5bd.png

image.thumb.png.2a2450ed3420a5df1d30b809f5abaf5f.png

image.thumb.png.3a9bc9bc50d31ec06644b3581809a3a8.png

image.thumb.png.7b9a8c2fa22058d0691c6993167476f8.png

image.thumb.png.cea1fd012a829eb3d1162fe91779ed4d.png

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Slipshodman said:

Hey all,

So I will start with sorry, not sure where else to put this without it going into the "Off Topic" section , which is actually probably where it should be but I don't think many would see it 

Anyway, so I know some of our members are herping fans and I am stuck with identifying this little, well not so little beauty that was in our yard yesterday 

He/She was 6 foot or so long (maybe 7) , I immediately thought a python but google couldn't help me find any python with that colouring or markings, but I can find King Browns in the same colour.

So I was hoping if any of our members could help me out with which may be correct, or if I am off the mark entirely  

Oh, and I live lower Blue Mountains NSW , King B's aren't really supposed to be around here I don't think 

Thanks in advance for your help 

 

And GingerB, if you need to move this, sorry, feel free 

 

Happy new year all 

 

image.thumb.png.d0d02e42391513c0931a2cb0e192b5bd.png

image.thumb.png.2a2450ed3420a5df1d30b809f5abaf5f.png

image.thumb.png.3a9bc9bc50d31ec06644b3581809a3a8.png

image.thumb.png.7b9a8c2fa22058d0691c6993167476f8.png

image.thumb.png.cea1fd012a829eb3d1162fe91779ed4d.png

image.thumb.png.85fcc639367baaf31e7019b3287c9d9d.png

image.thumb.png.5313863fa30df8cf2aff45db3c6c5ce0.png

 

 

 

Hey mate
Its just a pretty Diamond Python, not man made :)
just a beautiful creature

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reminds me a long time ago my son spotted a snake in the tree outside his bedroom.  I knew it was a python and a beauty.  Rushed to get my camera and rushed outside to take a picture.  Got half way there and stopped and reminded myself it is a f&%^(ng snake and retreated back inside and it was half the size of this beast.  

I also had another time with a brown snake in the garage.  Called a snake catcher and was asked the colour of the eyes.  I replied I was not looking for a date and did not check  

Having established myself as a non-snake guy I thought python but the only colour I could think was olive but don’t think they are in Brisbane.  I thought diamonds were prettier.  @raycam01_auhow did you pick diamond?  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random mutations occur in the wild.. its how a lot of morphs enter our hobbies. This diamond caused quite the stir in the reptile groups. Keep your location quite and ignore any messages from the ARP claiming they need to rescue another adult animal due to its mutation making it unlikely to survive :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would have Hamish, as soon as I saw it I was like some dickhead will grab it and try to breed it.
I had a lovely little Carpet python visit years ago with a awesome reduced pattern on it, ate some of my chickens and I let it sleep off and then relocated it to a national forest far away, when I put some pics up it also created abit of OMFG 

My answer to them all was the same

Fudge off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/01/2022 at 6:01 PM, raycam01_au said:

It would have Hamish, as soon as I saw it I was like some dickhead will grab it and try to breed it.
I had a lovely little Carpet python visit years ago with a awesome reduced pattern on it, ate some of my chickens and I let it sleep off and then relocated it to a national forest far away, when I put some pics up it also created abit of OMFG 

My answer to them all was the same

Fudge off

i can respect that mate i really enjoy all your posts lots of great videos and a large range of info i love that you share the videos and your wealth of knolage 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only reason why I said a man made hybrid, in one of the pics , it shows faint carpet / scrubby stripping on the back that doesn't go all the way along the back, hence  the hybrid , but as hamishh34,  explained,  hybrids and color morphs occur naturally in the wild. We have a  pair of carpets in the shed, that throw caramel hatchings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/01/2022 at 8:00 PM, hareysfish said:

The only reason why I said a man made hybrid, in one of the pics , it shows faint carpet / scrubby stripping on the back that doesn't go all the way along the back, hence  the hybrid , but as hamishh34,  explained,  hybrids and color morphs occur naturally in the wild. We have a  pair of carpets in the shed, that throw caramel hatchings. 

well said mate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/01/2022 at 8:00 PM, hareysfish said:

The only reason why I said a man made hybrid, in one of the pics , it shows faint carpet / scrubby stripping on the back that doesn't go all the way along the back, hence  the hybrid , but as hamishh34,  explained,  hybrids and color morphs occur naturally in the wild. We have a  pair of carpets in the shed, that throw caramel hatchings. 

Yeah coastals tend to throw a lot of hypomelanistic animals. I think hypos are quite common in a few species, my northern blue tongue litters tend to have 1-3 hypo type animals. 

Are the snakes your pets or are they a wild pair? Cool either way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/01/2022 at 6:01 PM, raycam01_au said:

It would have Hamish, as soon as I saw it I was like some dickhead will grab it and try to breed it.
I had a lovely little Carpet python visit years ago with a awesome reduced pattern on it, ate some of my chickens and I let it sleep off and then relocated it to a national forest far away, when I put some pics up it also created abit of OMFG 

My answer to them all was the same

Fudge off

Yeah I imagine the blue mountains had a few 'herpers' out there looking for the patternless diamond that would make them a fortune haha. 

There is something special about finding a unique animal and potentially being the only one to see it in the flesh. 

Do you still have any pics of it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hamishh34 said:

Yeah coastals tend to throw a lot of hypomelanistic animals. I think hypos are quite common in a few species, my northern blue tongue litters tend to have 1-3 hypo type animals. 

Are the snakes your pets or are they a wild pair? Cool either way. 

They are a wild pair, but I do have a coastal carpet as a pet.

I took it in reluctantly,  just after my big girl passed on  after having her for about 20yrs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hamishh34 said:

Yeah I imagine the blue mountains had a few 'herpers' out there looking for the patternless diamond that would make them a fortune haha. 

There is something special about finding a unique animal and potentially being the only one to see it in the flesh. 

Do you still have any pics of it? 

will check photos to see

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...