yas n will

WTB Quality Electric Yellows.... Anyone keeping DFishkeepers Strain going?

I have been out of the fish game for a while and looking to find some quality Yellows around the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane area. I have reviewed most of the shops on the north side of Bris and Sunshine Coast but can only find sooty faded yellows, nothing anywhere close to Doug's high quality fish.

Any breeder recommendations welcomed!

Cheers

Will 

Can't help you these days but here as some of Doug's yellows I used to breed,

611432186_P4300791-Copyresize.JPG

yellow08resize.JPG

I've got a decent quad these days from Toowoomba but had to pick the best male from a heap and move on 2 females that were a bit sooty.

8 hours ago, QldMick said:

Can't help you these days but here as some of Doug's yellows I used to breed,

611432186_P4300791-Copyresize.JPG

yellow08resize.JPG

I've got a decent quad these days from Toowoomba but had to pick the best male from a heap and move on 2 females that were a bit sooty.

That's the quality fish i remember QldMick. Almost golden with perfect black bars. It will be really sad if we have lost this strain of yellows.

Good quality are certainly still out there. Be worth talking to Nigel at Aquarium Central. Always used to breed quality fish and still seems to know where rarer species and quality lurk. These are also importable as well if you have some excess cash you want to part with. 

On 30/03/2022 at 9:30 PM, yas n will said:

I have been out of the fish game for a while and looking to find some quality Yellows around the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane area. I have reviewed most of the shops on the north side of Bris and Sunshine Coast but can only find sooty faded yellows, nothing anywhere close to Doug's high quality fish.

Any breeder recommendations welcomed!

Cheers

Will 

With yellows being added to the legal import list a few years ago, I remember Doug wanted to use some mixed with his for new blood but the low quality of the imported stock meant they weren't worth using at all.

On 01/04/2022 at 1:24 PM, QldMick said:

With yellows being added to the legal import list a few years ago, I remember Doug wanted to use some mixed with his for new blood but the low quality of the imported stock meant they weren't worth using at all.

Mick, I totally see where Doug was coming from. I saw a tank labelled imported yellows the other day and there was more soot on the buggers than yellow.

I did see a ripper of a specimen at Annerley aquarium in their display. It was very close to a perfect looking electric yellow.

If I was to ever import I would ensure I spoke with the people supplying the fish and had some recent photos of what they would be sending and what the colony the came from looked like. You are not limited to what supplier you get the animals from. Wholesalers that imported them from overseas may have just gone through cheap distributors knowing that the 'imported' tag on the fish would help them sell quickly regardless of quality. 

Yes annerley aquarium has a cracker in the display. So does aquadisiac in (Sydney?). 

53 minutes ago, keenfish75 said:

Are they slightly orange or it's just the photos

Hey mate that's how they were, when I got mine Doug had just crossed his line out to 2 other breeders lines. Some of these offspring were disappointing to say the least but having brought off Doug before he let me go through a few tanks and pick the ones I wanted, he had already done so for his new breeders.

The fish in the net are some of the ones I picked from Doug's stock, the next pic is my first generation down from that breed by me.

Out of the 30 I got from Doug's about 3 were very light lemon yellow but I didn't have space to line breed these as well so I stuck with the more sunshine yellow/orange I preferred the best.