Laggle

What happened to the native fish after flooding?

7 hours ago, Laggle said:

I’m just wondering if anyone on here would know what happened to the native fish after all the flooding back in February?

that is a really good thing to ask here are a few people that may be able to give u the answer . JB . QLD MICK . ginnger beer just to name a few

11 hours ago, Laggle said:

I’m just wondering if anyone on here would know what happened to the native fish after all the flooding back in February?

Natives move both upstream and downstream during floods, Lake Awoonga and Monduran lost their thousands (estimated 25000) of meter Barra a decade ago. (forgive me this is the only vid I could find quickly). Barra need to travel downstream to the salt to breed.

The major local dam here spilt over years ago and after the overflow stopped 1000's of Golden Perch, Eel Tailed Catties, and Cod were trapped in the small creek below the dam wall, we're they died due a lack of oxygen with so many fish. Its sad that only the European Carp and Goldfish survive the low oxygen levels. It did overflow this year but having been back to the creek section since it first spilt over.

I would say there would be extra Golden Perch, Silver perch and maybe Australia Bass in the Brissie River than there were before the floods, If this event was closer to winter massive amounts of Bass might of been lost out of Wivenhoe due to spawning migrations to brackish/salt.

A nice flood can help in the recruitment/survivability from naturally spawning natives. Up north a good wet season is expected to produce better fishing in the following years.

In the 2011 floods, my property went 2.8m underwater so flooded to knee height on the second floor. I retreated to the third floor (without power) and needed a small boat to get in or out. The brisbane river is usually one whole street away but my block became the middle of a  new very very wide river for a few days. This was a slow draining saline flood with lots of deep smelly sticky mud deposited. I did see several marine fish species swimming past. I managed to lasso four or five poly rainwater tanks that were drifting past. They can do significant damage and I'm always after free fish ponds! 

Feb 2022 the floods were predominantly freshwater, only 1.9m depth (for me) and went away relatively quickly. No power as usual. I opened both garage doors - one at each end and put up a seine net accross the downstream side to sample some of the displaced fish.