QldMick

Goldfish can't open mouth

I have 10 goldfish in a 1000L pond and one of my beautiful Bristol Shubunkins I wanted to breed is unable to open his mouth. It's been about 4 days now and he tries to eat each feeding time but just can't open his mouth to feed. The pond is heavily planted and have done a 90% water change. I have tried with cotton tips to try and open his mouth for a look but they must have different mouths than my mouthbrooders as I can't seem to grip anything to open up his mouth. He still has a decent body so he's not wasting away but am keen to hear any experience or advice that could help me, like I said I was gonna separate this guy and my lovely lady Bristol as a breeding project. 

Sorry to hear this.

If this fish isn't intended to be a display fish, it can still eat and live a long life without a bottom jaw. Assuming you can't get it's jaws working.

As the fish is currently in good condition, you could breed it immediately!? Very simple to trigger goldfish spawns - a 4 degree shift in water temperature (up or down), floating mop/plants/bristle brush and shallow water is all you need. As it's summer, a 5Kg bag of party ice will induce spawning behaviour the next morning. It's very easy to hand strip eggs and milt to dry fertilise if you want more control or separated broodstock once spawning starts.

PM me for my phone number if you want more information. 

I think he has passed as I haven't been able to find him all day, he was generally hanging around the top due to harder to get oxygen. He had breeding stars but lost them whilst his mouth wasn't working.

I have been testing the female for eggs over a couple of weeks and hasn't dropped any.

That is great info about the ice, I'll will be sure to try in the future. I've just made some spawning mops a week or so ago, 1 sinking and 1 floating with acrylic yarn.

I make a fish box sized basket out of PVC pipe (could use wood) frame wrapped in shademesh with one long side kept low, the other 3 sides high. Hang this in your pond with the low side about 5cm under the water level (other 3 sides above water level) and spawning material inside. Put the box into pond middle to late afternoon. 

Early the next morning - very early! Walk up to the pond and lift the box up so the low side is out above the water. All the fish inside the box are ready and ripe for spawning. The ripe males have selected and driven all the receptive females into the box for you. You can take your time to select which ones you wish to breed and hand strip. Both males and females are primed. 

Strips of shademesh bound with a cable tie is good spawning mop. Acrylic yarn is good, but make another 6 or 10. Easy to bleach between uses.

20 hours ago, QldMick said:

I think he has passed as I haven't been able to find him all day, he was generally hanging around the top due to harder to get oxygen. He had breeding stars but lost them whilst his mouth wasn't working.

I have been testing the female for eggs over a couple of weeks and hasn't dropped any.

That is great info about the ice, I'll will be sure to try in the future. I've just made some spawning mops a week or so ago, 1 sinking and 1 floating with acrylic yarn.

sorry mate