h2o68

dead fish

Hi all i just lost around 50 tropical fish over a week, I tested for a few things nitrite,ammonia,nitrate and ph they started dieing off after i did a 20% change in a 4ft tank, I have done this before with no deaths can anyone please help or tell me what else i could test for, The thing that annoyed me most was my school of botia sidthimunki (dwarf chain loaches) x 25 died which i have had for 6 years which is the age they should start to spawn, It is such a sad *%#$#&* day

With using sand is it easy to clean the tank and do you see much waste on the sand does it stay white?

Merry Christmas to all and a prosperous new year

Henk

hey dude

firstly sozz to hear bout the fish, always hard to take sepcially when u been growing em up for ages, anything diff done to the tank of late? changes additions? heat is a factor lately not enough oxygen possibility,

maybe the addition of some plants or the like bought in a parasite???

and lately some mates i have been talking to locally and interstate are saying the water coming out of the pipes is all ove rthe place :(

had you done a recent water change??

hope any of this helps.

ray

yeah it all started when i did a 20% change, and escalated last night to wake and see a lot of dead fish, My bigger royal whiptails lived and some species where not effected like the gold tetra live and all the cardinals die, Habrosus Cory die pygmaeus live, kuhli loach live chain loach die. All the fish that lived not one of that species died. I also bought a large double annubius around the same time that the fish started to die. The water is crystal clear and all the parameters are good lots of aeration good filtration and the heat the tank next to it with all my fry same temp no deaths and they are a much more sensitive fish. confused

I also have a heap of cherry and some riffle shrimp and none of them died and if something was wrong i thought the cherries would be first to go, maybe the cherries and the riffles are secret assassins and plan to take the tank over

cheers Henk

Secret Assains :lol:

Sorry to hear bout your loss henk, i have a lot (prop 100+) Cherry Shrimp die this week in 8 different tanks. allmy parameters where good n 3days after a water change. :?:?:?:?

Im understandably not as upset as you as i feed my excess cherries to the Red Devils im babysitting.

The only thing i can think of is test the new water before a water change as ippy water is bout 7.5-8 PH range on any given day.

I dont no if this will help :?

Tim

Thanks for the help guys, My water changes are done on a Thursdays and fridays, I have never lost this many fish maybe one a month if that, But what ever i did it was wrong i have stripped it bare, gravel and everything and i will start all over again and i guess i will test the water before it goes in i did for a while time to start again atleast i saved my royal whiptails.

Thanks Henk

I always do water changes midweek I live in a terrorist(oops tourist) area, our population qauds on weekends. Was wondering whether this could happen with more people at home at the moment for holidays.

The reason for this is the water flows through the pipes quicker when more people using it. Not giving the chlorine time to disperse.

Is it just me or have more people been having these kills since the introduction of flouride in Qld?

hhmm

Not all of Qld water is treated with flouride yet. Only the larger one's like Mt Crosby and Nth Pine Dam. The water across Brisbane is sourced from many different places, not all of it comes from those to dams. The smaller flouride plants are still being installed and are scheduled to be online before the end of the year and the larger ones are still being slowly put back into production whilst being monitored. After the cockup earlier this year they don't want to risk it.

So the likelyhood of fluride killing fish is nil.

rOB

Our water comes from a recycling plant in Forest Lake and i think the water we get is 50% recycled and 50% town water the plant in forest lake was opened i think in the middle of last year (not sure) it tastes real good and i find it hard to drink water in other ares in Brisbane as it tastes crappy maybe we have more chemicals in our water and i dont get the same water fix :lol: in other suburbs which use different water, Anna Bligh? opened it and it was suppose to be the future of water in QLD. Well i stripped the tank replaced gravel and did a big water change i will wait a week do some tests then add some more fish the fish that are left in there are doing real well so i don't know what happened.

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated

merry christmas and a happy New Year to all

Henk

The smaller flouride plants are still being installed and are scheduled to be online before the end of the year and the larger ones are still being slowly put back into production whilst being monitored. After the cockup earlier this year they don't want to risk it.

Can we be sure with the way this qld government does things. We will never know lol. it is the end of the year lol.

Firstly Henk - Big sorry on the fish death - nothing rips ya heart out more.

Just throwing this out there because it happened to a friend - Check & clean everything that you use to do water changes and don't let anyone else use, touch or look at it. Mates wife couldn't find a bucket to do the floors so pinched one of his fish buckets and then kindly put it back - result nearly every fish died when he used it to do a water change.

I do the following and have not had any deaths (cross fingers, touch wood, just lucky)

- use the same gear and keep it clean and out of harms way

- use rain water as much as possible

- check all your ph, hardness etc regularly (not just when there is a problem)

- boil water for changes (where appropriate - can't boil the kettle for 80 litres)

- airate the crap out of the water before you put it in the tank - reduce chlorine

I'm off downstair to do a change now (karma leave me be - I have been good)

Hope it helps

Damon

The smaller flouride plants are still being installed and are scheduled to be online before the end of the year and the larger ones are still being slowly put back into production whilst being monitored. After the cockup earlier this year they don't want to risk it.

Can we be sure with the way this qld government does things. We will never know lol. it is the end of the year lol.

After talking to the guys who are looking after the plants after they are up and running, I think we wont be getting flouride for awhile. Once the plants have been commisioned the operators are turning them off untill all the other problem with the filtration plants are sorted out. Looks like the councils run them into the ground before handing them over to AnnaB :lol:

Henk,sorry for the losses mate..nothing worse,it may be worth your while to buy a carbon filter to run your water through..i use one and must admit it really does help to get the majority of stuff out,the only thing it will not remove is fluoride

A breeder i know runs his water through a 4 micron and then 1 micron filter into a holding tank,i use 2x 500 litre plastic tanks from Bunnings to store water before i use it in my tanks...i let it age for a week before i use it

I was advised not to use the water up here on Thursday and Friday i don,t know what they do but hey havn,t been here long so the locals should know

Sorry for your loss

Did any of your fish mates have same problems ?

Any live close and use same water ?

What do you use for water changes Hose or Bucket

Only ask cause i bleached a shirt forgot then used it for water change and watched most of the fish die until i figured out what id done. Went straight out and got 6 fish only buckets

maybe some cleaners wouldn't show up on our test kits

:fish:Junkie

can i ask is qld using chloramine yet this is harder to get rid of and extremely bad for fish.

It is cheaper to use this is why many other states are using it.

Also did you know the nazi's used flouride in the water they gave to the jews in the concentration camps apparently it has a altering affect of the brain which slows the thought process down. According to this report this is what made the jews in the camps so easy to handle.

Dont know if this report is legit but none the less has been written.

As pointed out this was just a report I had read about the nazi camps. I have an interest in these due to having both german and jewish heritage. But not sure if it is truly legitimate or just something else made up. Also doses were not in the report but I am looking into this further.

But in saying this there is some proof that flouride will affect our fish by forming a scaling on the gills. For small short lived fish this is not a problem but for long lived fish it is this scale eventually becomes so thick it suffocates the fish large cichlids will be the most affected because they have been know to live for many years.

There are only 2 known products to bind flouride in the water both AUstralian made. Once I have the actual names I will post.

can i ask is qld using chloramine yet this is harder to get rid of and extremely bad for fish.

It is cheaper to use this is why many other states are using it.

Not sure. I will ask next time I'm taking to SEQ Water. As for the other, if it does have those properties then I would assume it would have to be a masive dose not the tiny bit we have in our system.

Rob

Fluoride in small doses will really not do any damage..it is only in large quantities that it actually causes an osteoporosis type of reaction

Fluoride is a bi product of bauxite but it also occurs naturally and this has been found in Africa

My daughters who are now Adults have no decay and no fillings...i work in the dental profession as a Technician and see some of the most horrific results of poor oral hygiene and no fluoride

It wasn,t too long ago that we were all advised to have our amalgam fillings removed for fear of mercury poisoning :petrified:

I don,t believe anything until i see the data :egeek:

Ok been doing a bit of research on the chloramine some of you may know it is a biproduct of a mix of chlorine and ammonia, it is also more stable than chlorine and does not dissipate like chlorine. It is also cheaper than chlorine. The only way to remove chloramine is to use a conditioner that is specifically designed for it. Read your labels of conditioner and make sure. Also aerating the water will not remove chloramine. I still havent found out if it is use in Qld yet but it is in use in NSW.

If you have a read of this http://www.upadrygully.com.au/res/Mt%20 ... 0Plant.pdf

it states "As the water finally leaves Cameron’s Hill Reservoir, chlorine and ammonia are added to

form chloramine, a long lasting disinfectant, which ensures that any harmful micro-organisms are

destroyed."

so yes we do have chloramine in Brisbane water.

Graeme