have some control issues with my nitrate is high and lost a fish today i guess because of it

never had a problem with it before the only thing i have changed is i now use seachem lake salts and trace elements

how do i get it down to were it should be

i am @ present doing a 20% water change everyday third day now and still now change

someone help me please

6fter it is filtered by a 2128 1100ltr canister + 1000l/p internal and a sponge filter 20 fish all about 5-6 cm

i use a jungle brand testers and i have 0ppm- nitrite 0ppm- ammonia 40-80ppm - nitrate goes up and down and 180ppm - (kh)

i lost a calvus would sit on the bottom but would swim if u go near the tank came home today to find it dead :cry::cry:

Ammonia is to high.

I would of do a 50% water change. Feed the fish only every 2nd day & only a light feed for a couple of weeks. Then do 30% water changes few times a week.

How do you clean your filters?

Do you use a gravel vac?

How often do you do water changes & how much water is removed?

How long has the tank been running for?

If the tank is a 6x2x2, might need more filtration. Or buy some of the porous lava rocks that you can buy from the lfs. Use them as decoration. They breed bacteria.

Purigen will reduce nitrates too.

Frenchy :D

Sound like the tank is still cycling - once established ammonia and nitrite should be zero - ish and nitrate rises until removed by a water change.

Follow Herefishies advise and make sure there is nothing rotting in the tank - dead fish under rock or uneaten food.

HTH

thanks guys

i don't undersand justin u say my ammonia is to high but my tester says ZERO

to your Q's mr justin

how i clean my filters -- ok for my cannister i only clean 1 basket @ a time never clean the whole thing in one go and the same for my internal only clean one part and next time i will clean a different bit

i use sand as a substrate and its only 1- 1 1/2 cm deep !

the tank has been running for just over 2 years

i change between 20 - 25 % a fortnight except for the last 4 days i have been doing that daily

i have red lava rock in the tank has been in there since day dot !!

0ppm- nitrite

0ppm- ammonia

40-80ppm - nitrate

180ppm - (kh)

Sorry Shane - Justin and I both obviously read it the same way - ammonia 40-80 ppm and wnet ah hah. So much for that

So the filter is working and converting everything to nitrate - good

Check the water going in - something is strange - maybe high levels at the beginning of the cycle.

I don;t think the filters are the problem - Indeed I would leave the filters alone as I believe they are working and changing wastes into Nitrate.

I lean towards some contaminant - maybe overfeeding - maybe snail colony die off (killing all your snails can be bad as they all rot at once) - dea fish - something.

I would cut down on feed and keep chaning the water to keep those Nitrates down - 25% daily good ( make sure you use your water ager/dechlorinator) - and let us know what it is like in a couple of days.

Best I got.

Sorry Shane - Justin and I both obviously read it the same way - ammonia 40-80 ppm and wnet ah hah. So much for that

So the filter is working and converting everything to nitrate - good

Check the water going in - something is strange - maybe high levels at the beginning of the cycle.

Yep, I read it wrong :oops::lol:

Just look at how much food you are feeding. High protein foods, turn water off quicker too.

A product like purigen made by seachem, removes nitrates. If you are that concerned.

Frenchy :D

yeah plants can help to keep nitrates down. i got 2 anubias in my 6 footer and every fortnight i test the nitrates before i do a waterchange and it usually only gets up to about 10ppm..

what size 6 foot tank is it? if its been setup for a while without problems and the fish have grown up in there. they might be getting too big for your filtration and as we all know the bigger the fish are the more they eat and the more they poo. which could be overloading the bacteria. and remember that once a filter has been running for a while and bacteria builds up they slow down so that 1100Lph cannister is probably only pushing 800Lph.. i would also get a bit more sand too cos bacteria will grow on every bit of surface area in your tank whether its rocks gravel or plants...

in my 6x2x2 i have 1x 2000Lph external cannister + 1x 1500Lph external cannister and a 3600Lph internal power filter and the water quality is perfect if i dont do a waterchange for a month the nitrate still only get to around 20ppm.

so after saying all that i would get another cannister filter on the other end asap..