mark_zx9

how tuff are fry

well i just cleaned out the second chamber of my sump today and i found a fry swimming around the guttergaurd and bio balls and the build up of muck

to my best guess it is a julidochromis ornatus fry of about 1cm but the colony has not been in the system for prob over 3months so it has been in there for a long time and has survived it it has prob growin so slow as the water and food quality has prob not been ideal :lol::lol::lol: and the surface foot print not very big either :lol::lol:

the last time i cleaned out the first chamber i found a yellow and a couple of flamebacks and an afra so who know what i will find next clean :lol::lol::lol: as i only clean one chamber at a time so the sump is still running with heaps of bacteria so not to put to much load on the system

so if you have any strange funny silly or just plain weird stories of things that you have found or seen while breeding/keeping fish why not add it to this and lets see what fry , fish and peoplehave seen and lived to tell about :lol::lol::lol:

let the stories begin :lol::twisted::lol:

mark

i have an albino at about 2cm live in a bucket for 1 week with only enough water to cover half of him. shit myself the next week when i went to do a water change. he lived for a long time after that too until i squashed him accidentally.

when i striped my hongi a while back the container was put on an angle after i used it to strip her and there was 2 fry in the corner of the container that was like a mill of water and it survived in there for a day so i think there tuff lol :lol:

Well my cousin had one gold fish left with white spot (all the others had died) So she took the tank and put it out the back yard and just left it thinking it would die like the others. Well 2 years later when she moved house she came across the tank in the garden full of dark green water (She had forgotten all about it) Well she started to empty it and low and behold there was a bright orange goldfish nice and healthy lol. I know these guys are tough but a 2 foot tank in a garden for 2 years unattended is not to bad I think

I found a rusty fry in the bottom of a small box filter I pulled out of a tank and tossed aside. It would have been in there more than two weeks and was alive and well. It was under 1cm when I found and it has now grown and caught up with the others. I couldn't believe it was still alive, the water was so foul.

When I moved one of my tanks, I pulled everything out and transported it all, when I get to my new place I was setting it back up...was all set up then an hour later i grabbed some more of my driftwood to put in and a little convict fell out of one of the bits of wood.

Would have been there more than 3 hours haha he is doing fine...especially seeing he was there to cycle the tank anyway!

From my experience, if something goes wrong (like I'm too slow in removing a holding female from the tank before she spits), there always seems to be that one little tuff bugger that survives while the rest perish.

Usually I just think it's luck, but it must also be due the one survivor being blessed with the best survival traits of cunning, physical ability and willpower to stay out of trouble.